Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
Why Quiet Hiring is Trending and What Does This Mean for Post Pandemic Corporate America
We all know how corporates hire people through an elaborate process that involves multiple steps and a detailed mapping of the employee skills and the job description. Indeed, traditional hiring has been around since the era of the modern enterprise, though with adoption of technology, the process became more efficient.
Given this context, it is only to be expected that corporates would stick to the time tested method of traditional hiring and so, when the new trend of Quiet Hiring comes along, it is with an element of disruption and reordering the existing patterns of hiring.
According the prestigious management journal, Harvard Business Review, Quiet Hiring would become the norm and trend in 2023. So, what exactly is Quiet Hiring and what are its advantages and disadvantages over traditional hiring.
More importantly, what works when and which circumstances and why more and more corporates and the HR (Human Resource) managers would prefer to shift to Quiet Hiring in 2023.
The pandemic has severely impacted America Inc, and has led to adoption of newer forms of processes and this is where trends such as Quiet Hiring have to be seen as one of the effects of the post pandemic disrupted workplace.
What is Quiet Hiring and How Does it Compare with Traditional Hiring and Why it is Value Adding
To start with, as the name implies, Quiet Hiring is the process of recruiting employees without much fanfare and publicity and it is done in informal ways.
For instance, tapping alumni networks and reaching out to personal contacts to check if they can refer eligible candidates for the selection process along with leveraging the internal employees and their friends and peers in other companies are some of the ways in which Quiet Hiring works.
While traditional hiring too has these aspects, the difference here is that Quiet Hiring does not extend to beyond the informal processes unlike the former that usually entails advertising for the position as well as visiting campuses and holding walk in job fairs.
Moreover, Quiet Hiring also involves banking on the enthusiasm and the capacity of the existing employees in the organizations to go beyond their day to day roles and chip in with extra work.
In other words, Quiet Hiring is the opposite of Quiet Quitting wherein the former is used to fill in for the employees who have embraced the latter.
So, in a way Quiet Hiring does not replace traditional hiring completely and is a complementary and supplementary value adding method to it.
How Quiet Hiring Is Corporate Americas Answer to the Great Resignation and Quiet Quitting
In a way, Quiet Hiring is trending in 2023 mainly due the lingering effects of the pandemic on the workforce and corporates in the United States.
Trends such as The Great Resignation have made America Inc. and the HR managers wary of spending large amounts of money on hiring and training employees, only to see the money go waste when such employees quit quickly and without any rational reasons, except to follow the herd through The Great Resignation, Quiet Quitting, and Rage Quitting.
In a way, Quiet Hiring is a balm and a respite for the harried corporates of America Inc. baffled as they are by the aforementioned trends.
Moreover, Quiet Hiring offers tangible and immediate benefits in the sense that there is no waiting period for the employees to hit the ground running unlike traditional hiring wherein there is a lag between the ads for positions and the eventual start of work by the selected candidates.
In addition, there is also the advantage of the HR managers being able to arrive at the right fitment quickly as Quiet Hiring is informal and hence, inherently personal.
Is Quiet Hiring Here To Stay Or, Just A Passing Fad? How Different Is It to Existing Informal Hiring
Having said that, we must add that Quiet Hiring might not really replace traditional hiring and as we discussed earlier, the reason it is trending in 2023 is that the pandemic disrupted workplace is yet to fully recover from its effects.
Indeed, it is early days for Quiet Hiring and it remains to be seen as to how long this would last.
Moreover, Quiet Hiring can also lead to charges of bias and nepotism as HR managers can pick and choose whom they want to hire unlike traditional hiring that opens up to a broader field and where the presence of interview panels reduces fraud in the hiring process.
After all, Quiet Hiring has been around for a long time in other forms wherein America Inc. has always tapped into networks of all hues for its hiring needs.
Things like executive hiring that are usually handled discreetly and trends such as the courtship of business school graduates and reaching out to personal friendships have been the norm in American corporates and Quiet Hiring is more or less an extension and a building on top of such practices. It is our belief that Quiet Hiring and traditional hiring would coexist.
Analyzing the Sticky Nature of Quiet Hiring and Concluding Thoughts
Last, every now and then the field of HRM or Human Resource Management is disrupted by a new trend. Quiet Hiring is one such trend and has to be seen in this context.
It goes without saying that the sticky aspect of whether it would persist is tricky to say and one must be on the lookout for other fads and trends as well.
Indeed, Quiet Hiring would morph into a more formal informal method of hiring as it goes mainstream and more corporates began to embrace it.
To conclude, in a fast moving landscape, Quiet Hiring is silent transformation.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!