What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
What is Ghosting and Why it has Become a Serious Problem for All Stakeholders
We often hear the term, Ghosting, in Human Resources or HR Literature and Practice used in context of how jobseekers who have been recruited or called for interviews not showing up either on the joining date or leaving without completing the hiring and on-boarding processes.
Ghosting happens in the reverse direction as well wherein organizations do not honour their job offers as well as do not reply back to the candidates who have been selected.
Ghosting also happens in Gig or Freelance Work wherein clients often take the work done by the Freelancers and either do not pay them or go incommunicado.
Indeed, as the name implies, Ghosting has to do with simply disappearing without a trace either by the employer or the employee.
While Ghosting in some form or the other was always prevalent, it has increased in recent months due to the Covid 19 Pandemic making it tough on both employers and employees who often fail to honour their commitments due to various reasons.
Indeed, Ghosting has become a menace to the extent that HR managers are scrambling to find appropriate solutions.
Some Ways in Which Ghosting by Jobseekers Can be Tackled by Industry Wide Action
One way Ghosting can be tackled is by blacklisting those candidates who fail to show up on the Joining Date.
While this sounds easy in theory, practically, it is not possible unless there are more serious consequences for the candidates such as precluding him or her from joining other firms.
In other words, there has to be an industry wide understanding to prevent jobseekers who Ghost so that they think twice before leaving their employers in the lurch.
However, this is not possible in a majority of the cases as firms compete with each other for the best talent and one employers loss is another employers gain.
In other words, most employers relish the prospect of employees ghosting their competitors making it impossible for HR Managers to prevent this menace.
Indeed, as the Race to Bottom Competition for Talent intensifies, it is entirely plausible that Ghosting might increase.
For instance, in our early years of our careers during the Y2K Fuelled Software Boom in the late 1990s and early 2000s, it was common for many of us to receive multiple offers and hence, take one and leave the others in the lurch. This is happening again now with more sophistication.
Employers Need to Take Action Based on Legal Regulations and After Due Diligence
While Ghosting can happen at any stage of the Hiring Process, it becomes a serious problem when the candidates do not join the firms or leave it during the on-boarding process or during the subsequent training and on the job familiarization stages.
Indeed, it is a menace as far as Ghosting during the recruitment process is concerned and a problem worthy of penal action when the candidate accepts the job offer, but does not turn up on the joining date or leaves in a short time.
To prevent this, employers can ask for collateral such as the employees certificates or other such important documents to ensure that the employee turns up on the joining date.
However, there are legal issues involved and hence, this practice must be followed only after Due Diligence.
In addition, employers can make the candidates sign a Bond or other such legal commitments and this is allowed by the regulators as well.
These steps can be an effective deterrent to those who Ghost.
The point here is that candidates must accept only those offers that they are serious about joining and not promise multiple firms about their acceptance and then Ghost the rest leaving them behind.
Employers and Clients Who are Ghosting are Being Cruel on Jobseekers and Freelancers
Having said that, it is not only employees who Ghost and in recent months, the reverse trend of employers Ghosting has increased exponentially.
For instance, the news is awash with reports of how the Pandemic has made a majority of the firms rescind their job offers and that too without proper communication.
Indeed, there are instances where candidates who turn up on the Joining Date were turned away and this is nothing but a cruel joke on them as they would have come with high hopes.
Moreover, there are cases where employers have gone incommunicado after the hiring process leaving the candidates in the lurch.
The point here is that there should not be any uncertainty that plays with the lives of the jobseekers and if firms are not interested in hiring or honouring their commitments, they must simply not advertise or commence the hiring process.
In addition, Freelancers are being hit especially hard due to clients Ghosting at will.
There are horror stories on LinkedIn about how clients have refused to pay for the work or have simply disappeared without a trace after receiving the work.
So, the menace of Ghosting cuts both ways in impacting all the stakeholders.
Last, Ghosting is as old as the existence of Corporates and it is only in recent years that serious thought is being given to how to tackle it.
This is mainly because in the present times, it is hard to Ghost without leaving a trace. Earlier, it was common for unscrupulous manpower agencies to Ghost and though it happens now as well, there are more robust legal options that are available for the victims.
To conclude, there needs to be a concerted action against all those who Ghost, whether they are jobseekers or employers with a coordinated industry wide solution.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!