What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
How a Typical Hiring Process Works and Why the Hidden Identity Markers Matter
Typically, the hiring and recruitment process in corporates entails receiving resumes for the advertised openings, short listing some of them for the next round of tests and interviews, the actual interview process, and then, the decision to hire or reject.
In this process, the first step of short listing resumes often attracts much attention from jobseekers as well as the employers as this step involves sifting through the hundreds and even thousands of resumes received and then, picking a reasonable number of applicants for the next round.
Short listing of resumes, if done manually is a time consuming process, and research shows that each resume is screened in a matter of seconds and at most, minutes.
In other words, recruiters, technical experts, and Human Resources personnel often look at jobseeker resumes for less than a minute and decide accordingly.
While this means that jobseekers and their resumes have to be perfect as far as presentation of skills and attributes are concerned, there is often a hidden aspect wherein the Demographic, Racial, Gender, and other markers of identity matter much in selecting them for the next round.
How Racial and Gender Minorities Face Barriers and Why Blind Hiring Can Help
Continuing the point made above, research has shown that those who screen resumes have implicit and explicit biases against jobseekers belonging to certain racial and gender as well as other characteristics and hence, the chances are that they would not shortlist those belonging to these denominations.
These biases have become more pronounced over the years to the extent that now; they are expressed openly leading to distortions in the hiring process.
Indeed, given the polarized and hyper partisan times that we live in, these biases have become more explicit to the point where jobseekers from minority communities and gender and sexual minority groups are disadvantaged at the first step of the hiring process itself.
In our working experience, we have come across some of these biases and others such as short listing jobseekers belonging to ones city, school, college, or for that matter, the specific educational stream.
For instance, we have known colleagues who rejected resumes just on the grounds that they were studying in Evening College and preferring Regular Degree applicants.
It is for these reasons that many management and HR experts recommend what is known as Blind Hiring wherein resumes do not have any information about identity markers.
How Blind Hiring Works and Why it Provides a Fair Shot and a Level Playing Field to All
Blind Hiring works by requiring no personal information in resumes so that recruiters do not know who the jobseeker is as far as identity and personal details are concerned.
The emphasis is on skills and attributes alone and nothing else so that all applicants have a fair shot at being selected for subsequent rounds.
Of course, it is entirely possible that during the Face to Face interview, such identity markers might preclude their selection.
However, the larger point is to ensure a Level Playing Field for All at least till the time their identity becomes irrelevant.
As for interviews, there are suggestions that interviewers do not ask the interviewees personal details and only focus on the Subject Matter and Domain Knowledge Expertise.
We do agree that biases might creep in at this stage and it is for this reason that some corporates are experimenting with special interview panels for applicants belonging to Racial and Gender minorities.
While Blind Hiring has not caught on in India as yet, it is increasingly becoming the norm in the West, and especially in the United States where there are specific laws that prohibit discrimination on racial and gender lines and Blind Hiring is mandatory.
Why Blind Hiring is Important to Promote Diversity and Inclusivity in Corporates
Having said that, there is another aspect to Blind Hiring and that is in how Corporates attempt to promote Diversity and Inclusivity in their organizations.
Indeed, Blind Hiring has become very popular mainly due to the D&I initiatives that have become the norm now.
For instance, there are many Multinational Firms that mandate D&I as a Company Policy and hence, HR managers often find it easy to require resumes with no personal information so that such efforts at promoting Diversity and Inclusivity bear fruit.
Therefore, Blind Hiring is a useful and specific practice that can help efforts to encourage D&I.
On the other hand, even Artificial Intelligence powered resume short listing processes can be fine tuned to aid Blind Hiring.
Contrary to popular perception, Automated Resume Screening can be biased as well mainly due to Keyword Based Coding of Algorithms.
This is something that many Silicon Valley firms have experienced and in recent years, they have been working on how to make Algorithmic Bias redundant.
So, Blind Hiring can help both Manual and Machine based resume screening in so far as avoiding biases in the hiring process are concerned. Hence, we suggest that Indian firms should also incorporate this method.
Last, despite our technological advances, human behaviour is after all driven by primal emotions that have been with us since time immemorial.
Therefore, biases are inbuilt in all of us and to keep up with the times, we need to experiment with new concepts and trends that can help us all.
Blind Hiring is one such Model or Paradigm that helps corporates to actualize a more egalitarian and just workplace.
While biases during hiring cannot be totally eliminated, we can make a start by minimizing them so that all applicants have a Fair Shot and Level Playing Field for all.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!