The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
The Role of Incentives in Enhancing Performance and How They Work In Practice
Organizations exist to provide goods and services to their consumers and clients and in turn, pay their employees’ salaries and bonuses to get the necessary work done to produce such goods and services.
Such salaries and bonuses are part of the monetary incentives which motivate the employees in addition to some non monetary incentives such as free food, commute taken care of, and paid vacations with family as well as healthcare options etc.
Indeed, in the United States, and in some Western countries where healthcare is not provided by the government, many workers and employees in businesses often join to the inducement of employer provided health insurance packages.
In addition, the more senior you are in the organizational hierarchy, the better are your chances to avail of incentives such as ESOPs or Employee Stock Option Plans, paid vacations, chauffeur driven cars, as well as plush accommodation that is paid for by their employers.
Apart from this, in many corporates, midlevel and junior level employees to receive some of these benefits based on their performance.
In other words, these incentives are often used to enhance employee performance in organizations.
Is Maslow Correct or Only Pay and Perks Matter to Professionals at Each Stage
So, does this mean that only incentives that are tangible as far as the benefits provided motivate employees?
Moreover, do the absence of such incentives deter potential and present employees from either joining the firms or quitting them looking for Greener Pastures?
The answers to these questions depend on what motivates employees and what should organizations do to inspire them to give their best.
In short, if pay and perks are the only incentives that motivate employees, then the best and the brightest would join all the Big Guns among the corporates.
A more nuanced understanding of what motivates employees and what enhances their performance is needed to understand the role of monetary and non monetary incentives.
For instance, why do the Silicon Valley start-ups as well as fledgling ones worldwide manage to attract some very good performers?
This is because after a certain level of experience and at a stage of career, management theories such as the Maslow’s Theory of Motivation state that there are higher needs that matter and hence, many employees are drawn to challenging work and the need to create something.
Moreover, such employees are intrinsically motivated in contrast to the employees who are extrinsically motivated.
What is the Fitment Process and how does it Work in Real World Firms?
What these insights from theories teaches us is that while pay and perks are important, there are higher needs and hence, any organisation wishing to attract the best and the brightest has to design a work package that includes all the elements.
So, how do the HR (Human Resources) determine what suits potential employees and target the packages accordingly?
More often than not, the hiring process these days in top notch firms is an elaborate affair that includes elements of determining what is known as the Fit between potential employees and the employers as far as JD or Job Description, Pay, Perks, and the Nature of the Work itself are concerned.
No wonder the Fitment process which is the term used to describe this process takes place over several rounds both with the potential hire as well as with internal stakeholders.
In our working experience, we have come across instances where the Hiring Process extends over weeks and sometimes more as the organisations evaluate the responses of the potential hire to the interviews, the psychometric profiling test results, as well as extensive background checks in addition to examining academic records and the past working experience and referrals from them.
Why Incentives Must Not Catalyze Reckless Risk Taking and Spur Unethical Behaviour
While all this looks good as far as the Fitment is concerned, in recent years, there has been a tendency to overemphasize incentives such as ESOPs and the others mentioned earlier.
For instance, there is the phenomenon of employees in start-ups quitting as soon as the IPO or the Initial Public Offering, a term used when such firms go public, is concluded.
This is because they can engage in what is known as Vestment wherein their Stock Options are now eligible to be liquidated.
Moreover, in Wall Street firms, the perverse role of bonuses and other incentives tied to performance has been highlighted in recent years as the reason for why such firms are always taking risks and gambling with the monies of their clients in order to make more and more money from performance linked bonuses.
Of course, while all this is justified as natural human tendencies, the HR has to be cognisant of how badly designed emolument packages can result in both putting off potential and present employees as well as incentivizing them for reckless behaviour.
It is our argument that the HR and other stakeholders take all elements of what incentives motivate employee performance into consideration.
Fresh Grads Must Know What They Want
Last, if you are a reader who is about to graduate, it is our advice that you do not be carried away by the breathless media coverage of the huge pay packages offered to your seniors and peers and instead, focus on what you really want at the beginning of your careers.
In short, be smart but also be focused on your inner motivations so that there is no disappointment down the line.
Indeed, the corporate world is a place where heroes become zeroes in no time just as the opposite is true and hence, better be safe than sorry.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!