The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
The Managerial Skill of Spotting Trouble Early
All managers, whether they are in sales and marketing, operations, finance, or human resources, or for that matter project manager, have to have a set of skills and attributes that would stand them in good stead.
Apart from the technical skills and the soft skills such as communication and people skills, a key barometer of their effectiveness as managers would come from how they can Intuit and Sense trends and spot the early warning signs of trouble.
This is a skill that is much needed in this 24/7 world where the fast paced nature of the business landscape makes it very tough for managers to spot the Signals from the Noise and preempt and prevent negative outcomes.
Indeed, our present world is so immersed in speed and velocity that managers can be left breathless just trying to keep pace with the many challenges being encountered by them.
How HR Managers Spot Attrition and Bad Workplace Behavior
For instance, a HR (Human Resource) manager has to be constantly on the lookout for employees who are thinking of quitting either because they feel they are not being adequately rewarded or because they are getting a better deal elsewhere.
As HRM (Human Resource Management) theory clearly states, attrition is the single biggest risk for organizations as far as the HR side of things is concerned.
When employees leave midway, there are bound to be knocking on effects on their teams and peers wherein not only would the team and the organization by extension lose a valuable resource, it might also lead to an exodus of other employees following suit.
This is the reason that many organizations maintain a list of employees who are considered as probable quitters and hence, the HR manager and the Team Manager often lookout for the least possible damage when such employees quit.
In our experience, we have come across such practices that give the managers a Better Handle on things and which is vital for them to spot sig ns, formulate responses, and act on them.
Indeed, any HR manager would attest to not only this but also other practices such as maintaining a Database of employees whose workplace behavior tends to be discriminatory against either their female colleagues or towards their peers and subordinates or both.
The Quarterly Imperative and the Managerial Challenge
Likewise, managers in the Sales and Marketing function need to be On the Ball to spot signs of falling sales and decreasing margins.
Indeed, given the fact that corporates in recent years have been living for the Next Quarter and have all but abandoned the Longer Term Guidance reporting, it becomes that much more important for managers at all levels to constantly be on the lookout for advance Sales Figures, Quarterly performance indicators and other such data points.
Even Project Managers for that matter need to be on the lookout for client requests or some would say demands that can make or mar the chances of their projects.
This is the reason why many organizations insist on their project managers to have Early Warning Systems that can help them prepare for anticipated and unanticipated risks and then formulate appropriate responses, and act on them.
Technology Enabled Early Warning Systems
Talking about Early Warning Systems, in recent years, technology has made it easier for managers to spot the signs of trouble early, formulate best case responses, and act on them.
For instance, AI or Artificial Intelligence driven Software helps managers to extrapolate the present trends and data points and assess where the risks lie.
In addition, such Analytics tools also suggest best course of action and then advise the managers on the actual action plan to put in place the responses. Indeed, without hyperbole, one can say that the cutting edge technologies in recent years have been a boon for the managers as for the first time; they have the machines doing the thinking and which can or need not be supplemented by human decision making.
The reason for the qualifier is that despite the advanced state of technology, it is apparent that human inputs and what HR experts call the Gut Feel still have a role in determining how well we respond to the Early Warning Signs.
Indeed, the fact that experienced managers often have an Intuitive Sense of where they are headed and can also formulate what needs to done in case they are headed in the wrong direction and how to implement an action plan that they can actualize based on their years of experience.
Real Time Dashboards to Aid Managerial Decisions
More often than not, Early Warning Systems are like Weather Forecasts and hence, they too come with a Margin of Error.
However, their advantage lies in the fact that they can present a Real Time Dashboard for the Managers who can then monitor and preempt and prevent major disasters.
Indeed, coupled with the Real Time Dashboards, are Big Data driven tools that can take the historical data, compare them to the present statistics, and then extrapolate what can happen in the future.
Having said that, as mentioned earlier, there is nothing like experience and hence, it is imperative for managers to use the tools and complement and supplement the same through their Sixth Sense.
To conclude, all of us need to know what would happen in the future and likewise, it is a matter of extreme importance for managers of all stripes and levels and functions to have robust early warning systems in place for decisions.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!