Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
When Knowledge is Power, It Makes Sense to Protect it from Theft
In times when the knowledge based economy thrives and is predominant, it is more than important for organizations to protect their most valuable asset, which is data and information. Indeed, given the fact that contemporary organizations use knowledge as the main leverage over competitors, it becomes necessary and even critical to enforce strict data security and confidential information protection policies.
Note the emphasis on data and information and especially the confidential information since if competitors and rivals get hold of such information, they can easily have an unfair advantage over the firms.
Indeed, the ongoing Trade Wars between the United States and China are as much about protecting the Intellectual Property of US firms from preying and theft by China as they are about tariffs and other aspects.
Talking about China, most experts in the field of IP or Intellectual Property concur in the view that in its quest for technological superiority and dominance, it is increasingly resorting to blatant theft of IP and Confidential Information from the US based firms.
In this context, while at the nation level, governments are seized of this issue, it is incumbent upon organizations and especially the HR Managers to police the browsing and other online habits of their employees.
How Data Theft Happens in Organizations and How to prevent it
To explain, most theft of data happens mainly by internal actors who can be in the pay of rivals seeking access to a firms IP secrets. Indeed, while hacking and phishing are also common, most of the reputed and large organizations have elaborate firewalls and other safeguards that shield their most valuable data from external hackers.
Of course, we do not mean to say that external sources of theft are not important, just that it is visible and can be detected whereas theft by internal employees often happens below the radar and hence, it is difficult to detect.
This is the reason why many organizations instruct their IT (Information Technology) and Systems staff to monitor the internet and online behavior of their employees so as to spot and preempt any possible leakage of data from them. In addition, they also do not allow personal devices with internet browsing capabilities including Smartphones without due authorization and due diligence.
Indeed, in recent years with the proliferation of Smartphones, HR Managers have a new headache in the form of regulating the Smartphone usage by their employees and while most organizations do not want to be seen as interfering with such habits, they are also seized of the fact that IP theft can happen if they do not do so.
Thus, this is a key challenge for HR Managers and the IT and Systems Staff as they have to keep tab on this aspect as well.
NDAs and Protecting Confidential Information
Having said that, it is not only data theft that is the challenge for organizations and another critical area of concern is the breaching of confidential information by employees. Indeed, this is the reason why Multinational organizations have elaborate NDAs or Non Disclosure Agreements wherein they clearly specify the terms and conditions of the employment contract that bar and prohibit them from sharing such information with others, including family members.
This is more the case as one goes up the organizational hierarchy as then, one is more exposed to trade secrets and sensitive information that make or mar the chances of firms.
Indeed, given the fact that most middle and higher management personnel routinely deal with confidential information if leaked can lead to advantage in terms of Stock and Equity prices, HR Managers usually prepare a list of select individuals who are privy to such information and they restrict such information to this circle only.
Age Old Problems of Human Nature and Easier Means in the Present Times
Taken together, what these aspects mean is that the Information Age has spawned a set of challenges for the HR Managers that hitherto were less demanding.
Indeed, in earlier decades, it was easy to monitor the phone calls and the written communications since they were done by Typewriters and other machine devices which were much more visible than the present day means of leaking information which, as mentioned earlier, can happen quite stealthily.
Moreover, in earlier times, Senior Executives usually used to meet with their peers in Hotels and other discreet places where privacy and security were afforded. Whereas now, any employee can hack into the internal systems as well as reveal the passwords and the IP Addresses of key personnel.
In addition, it is easier now for any employee to simply login to the Intranet and download the proprietary information and coolly take it with him or her on a Pen Drive or a Smartphone.
Even more, it is also easy in the present times with Fax and Printers having transmitting capabilities and this is the reason why many experts believe that while these issues are age old problems of human behavior, the scope for mischief has increased thanks to the ease with which it can be done.
Lastly, these challenges happen at every level and in all entities, whether they are Corporates or Governmental Agencies. Thus, a whole profession of Cyber Security personnel has now emerged that advises Senior Management figures and HR Professionals on how to protect data and confidential information.
Added to this are the steadily tightening policies and Zero Tolerance attitudes of HR Managers to these challenges. Thus, to conclude, HR professionals cannot afford not to enforce strict data security and confidential information protection policies.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!