How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
What are the Reasons for the Increasing Popularity of Behavioural Sciences?
Behavioural Science has gained popularity among management professionals and laypersons alike in recent years.
This is mainly due to its theories and concepts as well as insights into how people behave and can be conditioned to behave that are quite useful for corporates in people management efforts.
Indeed, as the name implies, the art and science of how people behave in particular ways and can be made to behave under certain conditions has gained traction due to the ever increasing need for people management in corporates.
As we move towards a model where people are the main assets, it is important for corporates and Human Resources Professionals to gain insights into how they can be made to be productive and gainful in their careers.
Of course, behavioural sciences are popular with laypersons as well since its insights into human nature can be applied by anyone and everyone, anywhere and everywhere, anytime and every time in all situations.
Moreover, there is a surge in interest pertaining to how motivation, herd mentality, irrationality and rationality as well, and cognitive and unconscious and conscious biases drive human behaviour among a diverse audience.
Human Irrationality, Biases, and Nudges to Induce Behavioural Changes
To start with, let us look at how the insight of irrationality and rationality drive behaviour is concerned.
Most Behavioural Scientists agree that humans are irrational in nature and hence, assuming bounded rationality in their thought and actions is unreasonable.
So, HR professionals and People Managers have to start with the Axiom of Irrationality when they interact with employees and work from there to ensure that they behave in rational ways.
Indeed, in our working experience, we have found that conscious and unconscious biases tend to play a major role in Employee Behaviour and hence, to lessen the impact of such factors during the working lives, we found that assuming rationality among thought processes and actions can lead to outcomes that are different from what were envisaged.
This is the reason why insights into how people can be made to overcome their conditioned biases can help anyone who is managing people.
Through Nudges and other incentives, we found that employee behaviour can be changed to suit the expected outcomes and hence, this insight is particularly valuable for anyone who encounters diffident and difficult employees.
Indeed, a key reason why Behavioural Sciences became so popular is due to this Nudge Theory.
How the Nudge Theory of Human Behaviour Became Popular among Psychologists
Staying with the concept of how Nudges can motivate employees, it is often the case that employees can be motivated to take up challenging tasks which appear difficult or even impossible to begin with.
By using incentives and a Carrot and Stick approach, people can be nudged to do the impossible.
In addition, the study of how conditioned biases impact behaviour is another insight that is quite useful. It is always better to probe the psyche of employees to understand what is holding them back in performance and then proceed to apply the motivational and other theories to move them towards the intended goals.
Indeed, as the bestselling book, Predictably Irrational puts it; there is almost a certainty about how we can predict someones behaviour based on our experiences of interacting with them.
The challenge of managing recalcitrant employees often proves difficult for managers and this is where Behavioural Theories can help them manage such employees better. In addition, biases and prejudices that are inherent to all of us can vitiate the working culture and that too in these toxic times.
This can be managed with the help of trained experts who can study such behaviours and suggest positive remedies.
Why Corporates Must Engage Experts and Invest in People Management
Having said that, it is not always the case that Theories and Insights can be used by all provided they have read all the bestsellers in the field of behavioural sciences.
Indeed, while we recommend reading such books, often it is the case that trained psychologists and experts are often the best bet for corporates to help them in managing people.
In recent years, there has been a trend where many Multinationals and other corporates have engaged psychologists and behavioural sciences experts to help them in people management.
The point here is that as the insight of the Invisible Gorilla makes it clear, experts and trained psychologists tend to see things that laypersons or for that matter, even seasoned managers can miss.
Therefore, our suggestion to corporates is that it is better to have professionals do the job of probing employee behaviours and then coming up with recommendations on how to induce behavioural changes.
Moreover, while Changing Minds may be easy, changing behaviours is not that easy as years of conditioning and habit forming actions can be hard to overcome.
Apart from that, the Mind Body Link in changing behaviours is another challenge that needs a trained eye to spot.
Last, one must realise that while all this theory and insight might look good on paper, in practice, it is only experience and situational management skills that come in handy.
Therefore, if corporates are really serious about inducing behavioural changes, they must have a longer term perspective and not expect instantaneous results.
After all, our behaviours are the sum of what all we have thought and experienced over the years and hence, working through the cobwebs of our minds and inducing change takes time and effort and in the case of corporates, money to hire the experts and make plans.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!