How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
What is Blockchain and why it is being hailed as Truly Transformative?
Blockchain is the hottest new trend in the world of technology. It is being touted as a game changer and a revolutionary approach to the way business and society operates.
Indeed, the hype around Blockchain is so intense that it is being hailed as the answer to the pressing problems being faced by the world including climate change and poverty.
In addition, use of the Blockchain technology is being mentioned as behind the rise of Crypto currencies and the emergence of peer to peer trading and banking. So, what exactly is Blockchain and why it is transformative?
To start with, Blockchain is a Distributed Ledger based authentication and verification as well as peer to peer exchange of information and data which translates into more authenticity and reliability as the integrity of the data is validated by networked encrypted keys that validate each transaction only when the entire network keys are in sync.
In other words, it is almost impossible to hoodwink the Blockchain ledger as each transaction is vetted and validated against the other keys so that data integrity is maintained.
In addition, because it removes the need for intermediaries and middlepersons, it can help the emergence of a truly independent and peer based technological method that can be used for everything from banking to governmental functions such as disbursing funds for welfare schemes.
Indeed, the transformative power of Blockchain is such that it can radically change the way we approach business and societal problems.
Can Blockchain Change the way the HR Function works?
Given that Blockchain is so happening, how can it transform the way corporates work? The answer to this lies in the way the specific functions operate and whether such peer to peer technologies can help corporates save money, time, and redundancies.
For instance, taking the limited case of the Human Resources Function, it is indeed the case that Blockchain can help HR professionals authenticate resumes better, use it for improving the efficiencies from the training processes, and use it to capture and report vital data that can then be used to ensure that tools such as the HR Scorecard are used better.
In other words, using Blockchain, the way in which the HR function works can be transformed in ways that were not possible before.
Take the case of the Recruitment function and how Blockchain can help transform the same. By authenticating the genuineness of resumes and validating the data in the applications sent by the prospective candidates, Blockchain can help HR managers to weed out fake resumes and inaccurate information.
Moreover, given the fact that Blockchain operates in a Distributed Database model, it can help corporates network with their peers and build a centralized repository that can then serve as a useful reference for referrals, recommendations, and authentication of information that candidates provide.
In other words, Blockchain helps corporates in building an industry wide database that can provide reliable and accurate information about past, present, and future employees.
Will Blockchain Lead to Value Addition for the HR Function?
Moreover, Blockchain can also help the HR function by improving data collection and validation of HR processes such as training, appraisal, and payroll.
In addition, it can help in data gathering for the HR scorecard that is a data driven tool which is used for measuring the efficiencies and the ROI or the Return of Investment from HR processes.
For instance, feedback about training and measuring how well specific training processes help organizations can be collected and used with a higher degree of authenticity and reliability.
Apart from this, payroll can be made more efficient through accurate disbursement of salaries and perks and bonuses. Indeed, the beauty of Blockchain is such that it can result in value addition for the HR function in specific and the corporate overall.
There is also the possibility that Blockchain can be paired with tools such as the HR Scorecard to enhance the data quality and the integrity of information to vastly improve the value added.
The key benefit of using Blockchain for HR processes is that it results in efficiencies from economies of scale and synergies from the integration of disparate HR processes thereby leading to a centralized and decentralized system wherein the former aggregates the data and the latter provides for authenticity and reliability.
Due Diligence and Proof of Concept Needed
Having said that, it must be noted that Blockchain is still in its infancy and hence, despite the euphoric promises of this technology, corporates must be circumspect about rushing to use it for their business processes such as those of the HR function.
Indeed, much like the other technological fads and trends, Blockchain offers a Utopian result and hence, there must be some due diligence done to gauge whether the reality meets the hype.
This is where astute professionals can try it out for a POC or Proof of Concept exercise aimed at gauging whether it is relevant and pertinent to the organizations.
In addition, it would be better if industry and tech experts are consulted before making the leap to use the same.
On the other hand, Blockchain is already being used by many businesses and firms and hence, their experience can be used to tailor the same for any corporate interested in implementing it.
Thus, there is much hope in the world of business and tech around Blockchain and it remains to be seen whether it would be transformative or remain a fad that disappears without any impact.
To conclude, using Blockchain for the HR function would indeed be transformative provided some initial due diligence is done before implementing it.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!