Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
Why Futurists are Excited and HR Professionals are worried about Technology
Of late, there has been much talk about how the latest technologies such as AI or Artificial Intelligence, Big Data Analytics, and Automated HR or Human Resources activities can eliminate the need to have dedicated HR staff.
The thinking of these experts who proclaim the end of the Human Touch in the HR Function point to how Recruitment can be done by AI powered Smart Bots that can sift through resumes and identify the fit between jobseekers and the roles being offered, as well as how automation can replace routine manual processes such as payroll and leave monitoring and other processes.
Moreover, with the Covid 19 Pandemic making workplaces virtual and with employees working from home, the chorus about how technology can do away with the HR personnel is growing.
Indeed, given the present state of technology and its likely evolution in the years to come, these predictions are not farfetched and can come true within a few years.
Therefore, there is much excitement among futurists and much apprehension among the HR professionals as to whether they would be the next to go due to automation.
Gut Feel, Sixth Sense, and Why Technology can never really replace HR Professionals
Having said that, it is our argument that while technology can indeed replace many activities that are done manually; there is still the need for human HR staff due to the very nature of how HR works.
For instance, there is the often cited aspect of Gut Feel wherein humans with their innate Sixth Sense can arrive at a decision that is better than what machines, in their current capabilities, can do.
In other words, technology has not yet reached the stage where it can think like humans and have the so-called Sixth Sense and the Gut Feeling that guides decision making in situations where the Human Touch is needed.
To take an example, during the annual performance reviews, there are often situations where HR managers have to take the call as to whether to give bonus to employees based on their performance that needs empathic approaches that are not yet possible by technology.
Moreover, the situations where employees are to be taken to task for ethical and policy violations needs a sense of Compassionate, yet, Firm approaches that machines can never or at the best, achieve partial success.
Therefore, it is a fair bet that Human HR would survive.
How HR Professionals Need to Develop the Seventh Sense, or Leveraging Network Power
On the other hand, we are in the Age of Networks wherein the Seventh Sense or the ability to leverage and harness the Network Induced Trends means that Human HR professionals really have their work cut out for them.
For instance, the decisions as to whether shortlist certain resumes needs an Intuitive and Trend Sensing traits and abilities that Machines have proven to be adept at.
Indeed, in many organizations in the United States, recruitment has been automated to such an extent that Human HR has been relegated to secondary and tertiary functions such as the Final Face to Face Interview and the Pleasantries Exchanges after the Hiring Decision has been made.
Therefore, it is our argument that the day is not far off when the machines would evolve to the Eight Sense of Human Consciousness that can make them eliminate the need for the HR professionals.
This is the so-called Singularity wherein machines develop human capabilities and what this means for HR professionals is that they need to get better at the Seventh Sense if they are to avoid being made redundant.
Indeed, this is the central challenge for the HR professionals as they navigate the Post Pandemic world.
HR is Built on Human Touch and HR Professionals Would Continue to be Important
However, there is also the case to be made for Human HR personnel as Interpersonal Relations are shaped by trust, empathy, compassion, and shared responsibilities and experiences.
Indeed, nothing can ever replace the shared experiences that form the basis of workplace relationships and this is where skilled and competent as well as adroit HR professionals would be in great demand in the future.
For instance, most organizations need HR professionals to deal with employees using their psychological abilities and this needs a deep understanding of human nature and the ability to relate to each other as people.
During offsite fun events and professional meetings, it is often the human element that predominates above anything else and this cannot be made redundant by any stretch of imagination.
Moreover, interpersonal relations are often built on a foundation of personal bonds nurtured over the years and in settings such as one on one meeting, the skill of the HR professionals comes to the fore.
In addition, the Pandemic, while increasing our reliance on technology has also fostered a need for Human Connection and Personal Touch and hence, technology would never really eliminate the need for the Human HR professionals in our present workplaces.
Why Cognitive Skills Matter
Last, HR by definition means Human abilities and even going by the future evolution of AI and other machine learning abilities, Cognitive Skills and Traits would be in great demand in the years to come.
Indeed, the Neuropsychological trait of Intuition and Sensing and Agility and Adaptability to situations is what makes HR professionals valuable to organizations.
No amount of cutting edge technologies can eliminate these in demand skills and hence, technology can at best reduce the importance of HR professionals, but never really eliminate them.
To conclude, HR professionals need to evolve if they are to avoid being replaced.
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By “Prachi Juneja” and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazon’s AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Here’s Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!