Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
What is Auditing, Why is it Important, and Its Continuing Relevance in the Present Times
Auditing, or the process of checking and verifying the genuineness of processes, accounts, and functions of any entity are a necessary and important aspect of the organisational processes.
Indeed, any entity that is registered as such, be it governmental, private, or for non profit, needs to be audited periodically both for regulatory as well as efficacy and efficiency purposes.
For instance, world over, the regulators need to see the audited accounts of companies, governmental departments, and the non profit entities.
Auditing is also needed for the shareholders and other stakeholders who should be satisfied that their investments are safe and would deliver returns.
Most importantly, the taxpayers in countries need to be assured that their money which is collected in the form of direct and indirect taxes, is being utilised properly.
Therefore, auditing as an activity is critical and crucial to the functioning of entities. Turning to the corporate world, it is the case that financial audits, strategic audits, operational audits, and IT (Information Technology) audits happen mainly because the senior leadership as well as the other key stakeholders need such audits for both gratification as well as course correction in case of lapses.
The Emerging Case for Auditing the HR Function and its Relevance for Corporates
In contrast, the auditing of the HR or the Human Resources function receives scant attention, though as a procedural measure, its accounts are audited.
In this article, we argue that HR audits should become a permanent feature of corporates, since in the present times, where human resources are the capital that corporates have, means that it is necessary to find out whether such valuable resources are being utilized properly.
Moreover, SHRM, or Strategic Human Resource Management theories that posit human resources as sources of competitive advantage for corporates, necessitate that the HR function be audited.
In addition, with technology accelerating at an exponential pace, and increasingly being used in the HR function to drive efficiencies; it is imperative that there should be a proper assessment of whether it is generating the needed synergies and efficiencies.
Apart from that, with the HR Scorecard and other tools being used to bolster the HR function and track and monitor the progress of HR activities, more than ever, it is critical that there must be a methodical and procedural attempt to identify the Returns to Scale and the Synergies from Integration of the HR processes.
How HR Audits can be Done with Specific Examples from the HR Processes
Turning to the specific ways in which HR processes and functions can be audited, we will start with the recruitment function of the HR.
As recruitment deals with a vital aspect of the overall organisational function and specific HR mandates, audits can reveal whether the ROI or the Return on Investment into the Recruitment function is proper.
This can take the form of measuring the Dollars spent on putting out ads as well as the monies spent on upgrading technology tools such as Artificial Intelligence, Analytics, and Big Data based tools.
The returns can be measured by tracking the performance of the new hires as they progress through the organisation.
In addition, the training function, likewise, can be audited to assess whether the funds spent on organising trainings is yielding the returns by conducting tests of the participants of the sessions once they complete the training programs.
Apart from that, the auditing of the performance management processes as well as the core and noncore processes such as payroll can be done to assure and reassure the relevant stakeholders that the HR function is indeed being managed commensurate with the goals of the overall organisational mandates.
Who Should Audit the HR Function and How the Results can be used and Misused
Now, the question as to whether the HR audits need to be done by internal or external agencies arises and for this, it is important for the senior leadership to take an appropriate call on the same.
For instance, having internal auditors is enough when the gamut of activities carried out by the HR function is limited as well as the overall entities being small and with fewer budgets.
Of course, this means that the much needed objectivity and neutrality of the audits are compromised since internal stakeholders can be biased in their approach.
On the other hand, external auditors are needed whenever the HR function and by extension, the overall organisation is large and varied in its processes.
Moreover, for large corporates that are in the public eye benefit from external auditors since in such cases, tweaking and twisting as well as fudging of the numbers is reduced to a great extent.
Having said that, one must also remember that no matter whether the audits are done by internal or external auditors, it is imperative that the results of the HR audits are not used by the organisational stakeholders to settle scores with each other.
In other words, this calls for maturity from the people who receive the results of the audit.
Last, in times when corporate fraud is increasing and at the same time, media attention is focused on them, it is imperative that business leaders commission HR audits both as a matter of procedure as well as a measure of whether their organisations and the HR functions in particular are functioning according to their mandate.
Moreover, as the reasons listed earlier for the HR audits make it clear; it is no longer a luxury, but a necessity for the HR function to be audited.
To conclude, corporates exist for profit generation and hence, all functions and the HR function, specifically needs to be audited.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazons AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!