How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
How the HR Scorecard Helps Gig Economy Firms
It is usually thought and understood that the HR Scorecard is useful to only those firms in the manufacturing and services sectors. However, there are uses for the HR Scorecard in the Gig Economy or the Freelancing Economy firms as well.
These relate to how such firms can use the HR Scorecard to optimize their operations and to manage freelancers better. For instance, Gig Economy firms can maximize the ROI or the Return on Investment from Freelancers by measuring their productivity and tallying them against the costs that are incurred on them.
To take an example, suppose firms such as Uber and Upwork spend 1000 Dollars on recruitment and training costs of their freelancers. Now, if the costs incurred this way have to be recovered along with profits, then the HR Scorecard can help by aligning the returns from such costs against the objectives of the firms.
Aligning Organizational Objectives with HR Objectives
Talking about objectives, it is also the case that Gig Economy firms can measure the benefits of hiring freelancers and then aligning them with the strategic objectives that their leadership desires. Indeed, the fact that the existential question as to whether the Gig Economy firms ought to be in business in the first place can be answered by using the HR Scorecard.
In other words, because such firms typically report only their freelancers as the primary asset or the only asset, the HR Scorecard can indeed help such firms determine whether they ought to remain in business or not.
The fact that the HR Scorecard is all about aligning the Strategic Objectives of firms with their HR Objectives is reason enough for Gig Economy firms to use the HR Scorecard effectively and efficiently to determine whether they are fulfilling such objectives.
Optimization of Processes and Efficiencies
Apart from this, the HR Scorecard can also help Gig Economy firms to optimize their processes better wherein they measure the efficiency of their operations and tally them against the strategic objectives.
Indeed, considering the fact that the HR Scorecard is used to determine whether the fit between the organizational strategies and the HR Strategies means that Gig Economy firms can benefit from using the HR Scorecard due to the primacy of Human Resources in the operations of such firms.
While this is also true of the Services sector firms such as Software and Financial Services, it is also the case that Gig Economy firms can use the HR Scorecard to their advantage.
For instance, since freelancers make up the business model of Gig Economy firms, the HR Scorecard helps such firms to actualize more efficient management of their human resources in a manner that is consistent with their larger organizational objectives.
Anticipating Future Risks and Challenges
Having said that, it is also the case that Gig Economy firms can benefit from using the HR Scorecard to anticipate future risks and challenges. Indeed, this can be done in a manner in which such firms can understand how future risks arise and how to combat them accordingly.
For instance, if the organizational objective is to know how the future unfolds for such Gig Economy firms, then the HR Scorecard can be of help in stacking up how the present scenario is and how such scenarios can be extrapolated into the future to determine the strategic direction of such firms and whether they are proceeding in ways that would ensure sustained success even in the future.
Using the HR Scorecard with Big Data and AI
Further, using the HR Scorecard in conjunction with technology can be of immense benefit to Gig Economy firms. For instance, using Big Data and AI or Artificial Intelligence tools, the Gig Economy firms can anticipate future risks and determine whether they are doing enough to be prepared for the future.
Apart from this, the HR Scorecard can also help Gig Economy firms in understanding the present as well as looking backward to the past to determine whether they give clues and insights into the future challenges. Indeed, both Big Data and AI used in conjunction with the HR Scorecard can benefit the Gig Economy firms to map their strategic direction accordingly.
The HR Scorecard is first and foremost a tool that aligns the HR Function with the larger organizational strategic objectives. Thus, the HR Scorecard helps in understanding whether the human resources in firms are optimized and whether they are being used efficiently.
Gig Economy firms that thrive on using human resources can then align both their organizational objectives as well as measure the efficiency of the human resources against their bottom line imperatives.
Moreover, Gig Economy firms thrive on efficiencies from the economies of scale and the synergies from the integration of disparate and discrete organizational processes. Using the HR Scorecard would thus help such firms by spreading the costs against the scale and by integrating their various functions and processes.
Lastly, the HR Scorecard is extremely useful to any firm and in particular, the Gig Economy firms since they can now use the same implement those changes that are beneficial to such firms and to discard obsolete and outdated processes.
Indeed, the fact that redundancies can be eliminated or reduced is one reason why the HR Scorecard does help the Gig Economy firms to optimize their processes and to make them efficient.
To conclude, the future of work is freelancing and this means that we are going to see more Gig Economy firms and hence, business leaders would be well advised to use the HR Scorecard to their and their organizations benefit.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!