What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
What is Second Chance Hiring and why it has emerged as a Trend in the Present Times?
We consider it an axiom that once someone is fired from a job or has done time in prison or otherwise, have a bad or blotted record, then chances of such people finding jobs is difficult and almost impossible.
Indeed, it is drilled into our heads that once you have a blot on your resume, then you can bid goodbye to any chance of being hired in most firms, and especially the top notch ones.
While this is certainly true since corporates are usually conservative when it comes to hiring people, in recent years, a new trend has emerged wherein the so-called Second Chance hiring or the process of giving those with a criminal record or otherwise, a Black Mark on their resumes, another chance at reforming themselves and ensuring that they remain employed.
The vision behind this concept is that everyone deserves a second chance and more so in the present times of distress where Covid has made it harder for all of us to sustain ourselves and our families. Therefore, it is indeed the case that Second Chance hiring matters for all stakeholders.
Some Practicalities and Barriers to Second Chance Hiring and Perils of Utopian Thinking
Having said that, one must also be realistic and not start dreaming Utopian fantasies about reformed criminals and those who have been fired elsewhere or otherwise, have made a mess of their careers to start life afresh with the Second Chance hiring.
After all, corporates exist to make profits and hence, not being charity shows, they have every right not to participate in the process of Second Chance hiring.
Indeed, this is the case with the majority of corporates who believe that Second Chance Hiring is a risky and pointless bet on people who might or might not deserve the Second Chance.
Therefore, many Human Rights activists often point to the practicalities of Second Chance hiring wherein most firms are reluctant to take in those with Blemished Resumes.
The corporates cannot be faulted in this aspect as repeat offenders usually fall back on their old ways and this can cause irreparable harm to their reputations as well as their business sense since law enforcement would blame them for hiring those with criminal backgrounds.
Moreover, given the extensive background checks that corporates conduct, there is also the matter of violating organizational policies by hiring those with criminal records and blemished reputations.
How Corporates Can Go About Second Chance Hiring According to Their Business Needs
On the other hand, the activists usually distinguish between hiring those under Second Chance by categorizing them according to the severity of their misdemeanours.
In other words, what the activists say is that not everyone who has done Jail Time is there because of severe and serious criminal charges and there are many who were either wrongly convicted or sent to jail on flimsy charges.
What this means is that we need to distinguish between Serious Felonies and Ordinary Misdemeanours to ensure Social Justice by giving the latter a Second Chance to reform them.
Of course, there is also the fact that Second Chance Hiring might or might not work as intended and hence, what many in the United States are insisting is that corporates can very well formulate their hiring policies based on their assessment of who can be hired under this paradigm.
Moreover, with the mass incarceration rates at an all time high, there is a fiscal case to be made for Second Chance Hiring since lack of adequate pool of candidates can lead to distortions in the labour market.
Anyway, most prisons in the US often employ the convicts in full time jobs with the corporates themselves.
Why Second Chance Hiring Should be Seen as an Extension of Jobs in Private Prisons
Indeed, the last point is the most important as far as Second Chance hiring goes. It is the fact that there are private prisons in the US where the inmates often work full time in jobs that are agreed upon between the government and the corporates.
This is also a major source of revenue for both the corporates and the governments and hence, it is a natural extension of this trend wherein those released from prison are hired by the same corporates.
This is something that should make sense to all stakeholders and this is where some activists see hope that once released, those with minor charges can go and resume their lives and lead a normal existence.
It is our argument as well that Second Chance hiring as an idea whose time has come should be seriously pursued.
Moreover, with the pandemic increasing joblessness, there has to some sort of relaxation in the rules of hiring as there is the equity and the social justice angles to be considered.
In other words, corporates have to do their bit for social responsibility and Second Chance hiring gives them the right platform for them to actualize the vision of social equity.
Need for Extensive Stakeholder Due Diligence
Last, Second Chance hiring is a concept that is fraught with many perils and hence, we recommend that corporates do their Due Diligence before deciding on hiring those with criminal histories and black marked resumes.
On the other hand, the government has a role to play in this as well by smoothening the process through assistance to both employers and potential employees and getting them together face to face.
To conclude, while there is a humanitarian aspect to Second Chance Hiring, corporates can take the chance or decide to not take chances and this decision should come after extensive discussions.
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By “Prachi Juneja” and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazon’s AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Here’s Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!