Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
The Emerging Uber Economy
Most if not all of us would have heard of the ride sharing cab aggregator Uber. Anyone who has taken a ride with the associated drivers belonging to Uber would be aware that the cabs and the drivers who work for the company are not regular full time employees but just about anybody who has a car and has ‚Äúsigned up‚ÄĚ with the company on a part time basis.
This is the business model where unlike in the traditional rent a cab model, Uber works by allowing anyone to register with them and work for them on a freelance basis. Similarly, this ‚Äúsharing model‚ÄĚ is now being adopted by other companies such as AirBnB which lets house owners let their spare rooms to be used as ‚ÄúBed and Breakfast‚ÄĚ motel rooms without necessarily turning their homes into full fledged hotels.
Further, there are many freelance work sites such as Upwork-Elance, Craigslist, and People per Hour that ‚Äúconnect‚ÄĚ freelancers with potential clients and thereby ‚Äúfacilitate‚ÄĚ the exchange of work between buyers and sellers on a part time basis. Indeed, some estimates suggest that nearly one third of the total workforce in the United States is now engaged in some form or the other of freelance work.
The Rise of the Temp Economy and its Implications for Workers
This has implications for the upcoming generation of workers who would find that ‚Äúlifelong employment‚ÄĚ and a stable and secure job are things of the past. Instead the motto for the future is sharing one‚Äôs skills and expertise through online and mobile portals with potential buyers for a fee and where the mode of working is temporary and devoid of any longer term contractual and stable work arrangements.
Employers Benefit More than the Workers
This trend of increasing instances of employers hiring workers for the shorter term without any longer term commitments and without having to pay for their healthcare, social security, pensions, and other benefits that characterize longer term employment means that employers save huge amounts of money.
Further, they can hire according to seasonal demand and whenever a project comes up instead of hiring employees and keeping them on the ‚Äúbench‚ÄĚ until the projects are finalized. Already employers are saving on the benefits by hiring temps and added to this is the purely temporary nature of work which results in savings in areas ranging from idle capacity to easier hiring and firing.
Therefore, this temp economy or the gig economy does indeed benefit the employers and one of the reasons for employers worldwide pushing for temp work is the very tangible benefits that they get from this business model.
Goodbye to Stable and Secure Longer Term Employment
On the other hand, things are becoming harder for the workers as they no longer have what is called as a stable and secure job. Instead, they flit from assignment to assignment and from gig to gig all the time remaining on the margins.
Though employers claim that temp work is priced higher and that the workers benefit, it is undeniable that competition from lower wage workers from other countries such as the emerging and the developing countries in Asia and Africa not to leave out Latin America means that workers in the developed world are being hit by a ‚Äúdouble whammy‚ÄĚ of lower wages and no secure and stable work.
Workers Worldwide Better Be Prepared
Indeed, globalization and technological advances means that any employer anywhere can hire workers for temp work anytime and every time from everywhere. Unless one is talking about purely geography dependant work such as Uber, most of the work available in the gig economy can be done from anywhere.
While this presents opportunities for workers in the Third World since all they need is a stable power and internet connection and the ability to work hard as well as be innovative and inventive, the same cannot be said about workers in the developed world who have to contend with the problems of lack of permanent employment and to rub it in, the very real prospect of declining wages both in absolute terms and relative terms.
The emerging temp economy has been variously called the Uber economy and the gig economy and the reality for workers around the world is that in future job and work are not things that one can take for granted but instead, one has to work harder and be agile and nimble all the time thereby remaining competitive.
Indeed even workers in the developing world have to be on the lookout for competition from even lower wage workers from the bottom of the heap. This ‚Äúrace to the bottom‚ÄĚ means that unless one is constantly reinventing oneself, there is no guarantee that one can find work all the time.
How Workers Can Remain Competitive
While it is beyond the scope of this article to analyze the ideological aspects of this emerging economy, nonetheless the fact remains that what we are witnessing is a transformation of work itself and the way the ‚Äúsocial contract‚ÄĚ between workers and employers is being redefined.
Therefore, our advice here for prospective graduates and those entering the workforce is to ensure that they update their skills on a continuous basis and develops that ‚ÄúX Factor‚ÄĚ which would distinguish them from the competition so that they remain in the reckoning.
On a concluding note, we would also like to point out that all workers everywhere better realize that the good old days of stable and secure employment are being converted to a ruthless marketplace for workers where the ability to bid lower, the ability to go beyond customer satisfaction and instead, aim for customer delight and customer wow are the things that would serve them well in the future.
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By ‚ÄúPrachi Juneja‚ÄĚ and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Here‚Äôs Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!