How Predictive Analytics helps HR Managers make Better Hiring Decisions
What is Predictive Analytics and How Does it Help Decision Makers
Predictive Analytics or the technological tool that combines AI or Artificial Intelligence, Big Data, and Analytics software is taking the world by storm.
Not a day goes by without reading a report about how Predictive Analytics helps in predicting outcomes with uncanny accuracy.
Right from predicting how consumers behave to predicting when people will die, predictive analytics is the future of decision making in the Digital Age.
Moreover, predictive analytics can also be used by business leaders and decision makers in making better decisions as well as in mapping outcomes to goals and objectives.
Indeed, the power of predictive analytics lies in the way it helps decision makers to evaluate whether a particular option would achieve the desired outcomes.
It also helps Human Resource Managers to make better hiring decisions as well as helps them in deciding which training method and training program is the best suited for actualizing the business goals.
Moreover, predictive analytics also helps HR managers in mapping such outcomes versus goals using tools such as HR Scorecard and the like. Thus, predictive analytics can be game changer as far as HR decision making is concerned.
Predictive Analytics in Hiring
Hiring is usually a cumbersome task where without the use of technology HR managers would have to sift through hundreds of resumes and also use informed guesses as to how a particular candidate would fare as far as matching the resume with the desired job profile is concerned.
Apart from this, manual hiring processes are prone to be subjective and dependent on the whims and fancies of the recruiters and the interviewers.
On the other hand, using Predictive Analytics, HR managers can make accurate decisions regarding whom to hire and whom to reject.
Indeed, using this software, HR managers can run through all the resumes and determine Best Fit models so that only those candidates whose profiles closely match the job description are selected.
Moreover, predictive analytics can also help HR managers in avoiding and rejecting those resumes with misleading and inaccurate information thereby nipping in the bud resumes that are full of fake qualifications and experience.
Indeed, hiring is the specific process where predictive analytics makes the most value addition as far as HR processes are concerned.
Take any report on predictive analytics and chances are that it would have sections on how this technology is a game changer as far as hiring and HR management is concerned.
We Must Be Masters of Technology Rather Than Being Its Slaves
Having said that, it is also the case that undue importance and excessive reliance on predictive analytics is not desirable for some reasons that would be discussed in this section.
Predictive Analytics is akin to colour blind hiring wherein both aim to reduce or eliminate the chances of bias and human prejudice in hiring decisions.
Thus, used properly predictive analytics can help actualize a truly Equal Opportunity paradigm wherein HR managers can proudly claim that they do not discriminate on the basis of any marker of identity and where merit is the only consideration.
However, recent reports indicate that Predictive Analytics also can be programmed in a biased manner and this is where some experts worry that excessive reliance on this technology can lead to some biases and errors creeping in the process.
Moreover, bankers and hedge fund traders who used predictive analytics models in the run up to the Great Recession of 2008 were shocked to see how their models failed to predict the recession and were alarmed to see their models not working at all.
This is where HR managers too must learn the right lessons and use predictive analytics in conjunction with human decision making.
Using Technology Along with the Human Element
On the other hand, the United States is already ahead of the curve as far as HRM and Predictive Analytics are concerned.
Right from Robots conducting interviews to using completely automated recruitment processes, the US has taken a lead in adopting predictive analytics for hiring processes.
Moreover, predictive analytics used in conjunction with the HR scorecard can help HR managers map outcomes to objectives and to help they prepare reports or scorecards on how they have fared as far as goals and objectives are concerned.
Indeed, predictive analytics can be used for everything from resume selection to software driven psychometric testing and technical tests to helping the final recruitment decision.
As mentioned in the previous section, the human element must also be used so that the Gut Feel factor of decision making complements and supplements the technology driven decision making.
Apart from this, the selected candidates career progression and career path in the organization can be used to evaluate whether he or she was indeed the right choice for the job.
In other words, future iterations of the software can benefit from hindsight mapping as far as hiring choices are concerned which adds value.
Not Lead To Dystopia
Lastly, predictive analytics is still in its infancy as far as realizing its Godlike powers of prediction are concerned.
Thus, future HR professionals might very well have to reckon with it subsuming humans completely and hence, would have to contend with playing second fiddle or even find them totally redundant.
This can have both positive and negative implications and it is the collective choices we make today that would determine how much the HR profession would be impacted by the onward march of technology.
To conclude, the utopian promise of predictive analytics in HR processes must not become a dystopian nightmare.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!