Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
Human Resource Management is a critical and crucial component or function in any organization and more so, for organizations in the hospitality sector which thrive on the customer service and other people related services as part of its USP or Unique Selling Proposition.
Indeed, it can be said that HRM is the key function in the hospitality sector considering that firms such as Hotels, Tour and Travel Operators, Restaurants, and Holiday Resorts all depend on their employees as sources of distinctive competitive advantage. Thus, HRM in the Hospitality Sector has to be practiced well in order to ensure the commercial viability of the firms in the sector.
Issues Related to HRM in the Hospitality Sector
Some of the issues that HR Managers in the Hospitality Sector deal with are related to intercultural management, people empowerment, and people enabling all of which are very important to ensure that the employees of firms in the hospitality sector actualize their duties and provide stellar and superlative customer service.
While in earlier decades, the HRM in the Hospitality Sector focused on personnel management, it is now the case that SHRM or Strategic Human Resource Management or the treatment of employees as strategic sources of competitive advantage is the norm in the sector.
Turning to the specific cultural challenges related to intercultural management and cross cultural communication that HR Managers have to contend with in the hospitality sector, it is a fact that hotels, airlines, restaurants, tour and travel operators, and the like depend on foreign tourists and travellers from around the world for their existence as profit making entities.
Thus, there is a need for their employees to bridge the cultural gaps and cross the chasm between different cultures. Some people mistake cross-cultural management and intercultural communication as being concerned solely with foreign language proficiency or the ability to converse with the international guests in their own language.
However, while being multilingual can indeed help employees in the hospitality sector, it goes beyond this and what is needed is an ethnocentric approach to intercultural management wherein the staff in the firms in the hospitality sector have to place themselves in the position of their guests and talk to them and communicate to them from the perspective of the guests culture. This means that there is a need for HR Managers to emphasize the importance of bridging the cultural gap by reaching out to the guests that goes beyond multilingual capabilities.
Some Challenges that HR Managers Face and Possible Approaches
In addition, HR Managers in the hospitality sector often face challenges related to motivation of their employees. Most jobs in the sector are highly stressful needing constant vigilance and attention from the employees and hence, there is a high burnout rate in the sector. To avoid high attrition due to stress and demoralized employees due to fatigue, HR Managers in the sector must come up with innovative and inventive policies to ensure that employees remain motivated.
Since the job is also a 24/7 one where there is constant rotation of shifts in order to ensure round the clock service, HR Managers have to rotate duties of the employees in as humane manner as possible so that the same employees do not end up doing the night shift all the time in addition to being stressed out because they have been in the shift where the maximum workload takes place.
Some Policy Suggestions for HR Managers in the Hospitality Sector
Thus, there is a need to keep the spirits of the employees high and towards this end; HR Managers can ensure that they align the rewards with the performance in a manner that brings out the best in their employees. For instance, paying performance linked bonus and variable pay linked to performance can help the employees better their performance as is the pay and benefits such as transport to drop the employees home (especially women and those working in the night shift), weekly offs so that employees get a chance to relax and unwind in addition to job rotation and role rotation so that employees learn new skills and become adept at managing the entire hospitality value chain.
Indeed, some of these policies are already being tried out in many international hotels and tour and travel operators where such policies are being implemented based on extensive research into the high-performance attributes of employees in the hospitality sector. Moreover, such policies also ensure that employees do not jump ship frequently or in other words, high attrition which is the hallmark of the sector can be avoided.
Conclusion: It is Important to Walk the Talk and Practice What One Preaches
In addition, the current trends in the hospitality sector indicate the need for global thinking and local execution for the HR Managers wherein they do not dilute the global brand image of their firms and yet, do not neglect the local ways of doing things. Indeed, this is a very important requirement for employees in the hospitality sector as the industry is highly globalized and at the same time, depends on highly specialized localized forms of execution.
Lastly, it is one thing to preach and theorize and it is another thing to actually practice what one preaches and walk the talk. Thus, HR Managers in the hospitality sector would well remember the fact that unless their actions match their words and unless the policies are actually implemented, the employees are more likely to see through the disconnect between talk and reality. To conclude, HR Managers in the hospitality sector face umpteen challenges, and it is the way in which they deal with such challenges that determine the end results.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!