Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
HRM Strategies to Promote Diversity can Enhance Organizational Effectiveness
A diverse enhances organizational effectiveness by creating a culture of plurality and tolerance that promotes collective decision making through multiple viewpoints that can be used for better decision making.
Thus, the HRM or the Human Resources Management strategies must include end-to-end capabilities that promote diversity. This can take the form of color-blind recruitment and gender neutral as well as location independent recruitment that ensures that the employees who are recruited are not according to the biases of the recruiters or the managers and instead, reflect true diversity in action.
Further, HR professionals can also actualize a diverse workforce through retention strategies and promotion strategies that enhance the diversity of the workforce. Above all, the HRM strategies must also be towards actualizing a workplace culture free from harassment and discrimination on account of gender, race, sexual orientation, or geographies.
These imperatives call for end-to-end policies and strategies that span the entire HRM value chain starting with recruitment, including retention, and covering workplace culture policies. Also, it is not enough to have such policies in place, and there must be effective enforcement of such policies as well.
Color Blind Recruitment as the First Step towards a Diverse Workforce
To start with, recruitment should be made totally color blind and gender neutral apart from making it geography independent. This can ensure that the employees who are recruited are not according to the biases and prejudices of the recruiters and the managers who decide on the ultimate selection.
For instance, bias-free recruitment can help in preventing recruitment of specific region or geographical-based candidates wherein recruiters from the same region or place does not have a say in selecting only such candidates.
Apart from this, color-blind recruitment can also help in loading the new employees with specific races or ethnicities such as barring African Americans or Hispanics and instead, recruiting White Americans alone.
Further, these strategies can be implemented by requiring the resumes of potential applicants to not include their gender, race, or ethnicity as well as sexual orientation. Also, the resumes need not have the names of the candidates as well to ensure that bias-free recruitment happens.
In these times, when trans-genders and those who are gays or lesbians are being sought to be recruited by multinationals with a view to promote diversity, these types of recruitment strategies would go a long way in meeting such goals.
Specific Employee Retention Strategies to Enhance Organizational Effectiveness
Next, the employee retention strategies must be specified and more importantly, enforced with a view to enhancing the diversity of the workforce.
Indeed, recruiting employees of different races and genders as well as ethnicities alone would not help if such employees are demoralized due to workplace discrimination and hence, either quit their jobs or perform below par which can again lead to a workplace culture that is not fully discrimination free.
Thus, the key aspect to note here is that employee retention strategies must not only be put in place but also enforced. Indeed, the key to a diverse workforce is through walking the talk which means that enforcement is as important or perhaps more than having policies in place.
For instance, having anonymous helplines and mentors to guide the employees to report cases of harassment and discrimination can help in retaining such employees. In addition, efforts must be made to listen to such employees and act on their concerns which mean that there should not be double standards when it comes to such employees. In short, all employees must be made to feel welcome and not only those belonging to specific categorizations.
This calls for effective monitoring of the workplace behavior of all the employees so that the workplace culture is free from discrimination.
Glass Ceilings and How to Eliminate Barriers
Having a workplace culture free from harassment and promoting diversity also means that the glass ceiling for women and those from minority races and ethnicities must be discouraged. The term glass ceiling refers to the aspect of women employees not being allowed to move up the hierarchy by covert means that are expressed in both verbal and nonverbal terms.
For instance, women employees must not be discouraged from pursuing their ambitions through innuendo and other forms of indirect harassment where the discrimination is insidious and morale-sapping. Also, employees belonging to specific races or ethnicities should not be made to feel that they are unwelcome.
Indeed, the fact that a ghetto culture that segregates the employees according to race, gender, ethnicity, or sexual orientation is a clear sign that such employees are being made unwelcome and hence, are either forced to quit or suffer from poor performance.
Apart from this, promotion policies must be color blind and gender neutral as well. While we are not advocating affirmative action where employees belonging to specific categories are explicitly favored over others, what we are recommending is a level playing field for all employees irrespective of their categorization.
Technology can Enhance Diversity
Lastly, it has been proven that use of technology to enhance organizational diversity can indeed be a key driver of such objectives. Indeed end to end use of technology across the HRM value chain can eliminate or at least reduce the scope for human bias and prejudice.
By automating selection and recruitment and by using technology to gather data about promotion and workplace behavior, the effectiveness of the diversity policies can be enhanced.
To conclude, organizational diversity can turn into a key asset if the end-to-end value chains of the HRM activities are done through a view to actualizing a workplace that is diverse and more importantly, free from harassment.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!