The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
Stress Affects All Leading to Reduced Productivity and Loss of Person Hours
It is commonplace these days for professionals and workers alike to complain about excessive stress due to their work and due to myriad other personal and professional commitments. Indeed, stress is something that all of us experience on a daily basis.
Whether it is the pressure of upcoming deadlines, poor ratings leading to anxiety, the distractions of the Smartphone fueled pings and other disturbances that lead to an inability to focus on work, or the anxiety of balancing personal and professional lives.
Indeed, if anyone says that they are leading stress free lives, then he or she must be extraordinarily lucky.
Thus, with stress becoming commonplace, professionals experience its effects in the form of reduced productivity, frequent health problems, and regularly falling sick and missing work.
The last point is especially relevant as organizations would ideally need their employees to be hale and hearty to focus on work and give their best.
However, as many recent studies and research papers have pointed out, it is becoming commonplace for employees to take more sick leaves and be absent from work leading to them and the organizations alike losing out on person hours of work.
This is the reason why many HR Managers worldwide are taking note of the increasing incidence of ill health taking a toll on personal and organizational health.
Corporate Wellness Programs and Their Role in Actualizing a Productive Workplace
As a solution or at least a way to mitigate these problems, many corporates world over are investing in corporate wellness programs wherein they send their employees to resorts, nature cure centers, rehabilitation or rehab centers, and on offsite visits so that they can rejuvenate and revitalize themselves from time to time.
More importantly, HR Managers are also looking at how to spot triggers that employees are feeling and are experiencing as a prelude to a complete breakdown of their health.
Indeed, the latter aspect is the key to successful management of wellness and health at the workplace since spotting the signs of stress and burnout early can save the organizations and the employees a whole lot of trouble.
In addition, many HR managers are also hiring wellness consultants and psychotherapists to talk to employees in a confidential manner and check if they are fit to work dedicatedly.
Indeed, corporate wellness has become an industry on its own with multiple stakeholders including the leading hospitals, the wellness experts, chains of resort and rehab centers, and the logistics providers such as emergency services and specialists who are trained to deal with workplace illnesses.
Corporate Wellness World Over
Apart from this, governments around the world have realized the debilitating effect of ill health and sickness on employee and organizational productivity and are taking steps to address the same.
For instance, the United Kingdom has passed a law requiring employers to hire a psychiatrist or psychologist to talk to employees on a one on one basis as well as giving time off without deducting salary to employees who badly need a break from work.
As such, the French have always had liberal working hours and no weekend working and they are now probing whether they can relax these rules to help employees.
In India, there have been multiple proposals recently to have a Five Day Work Week for Governmental Employees and thereby ensuring that they do not become stressed at work.
The reason for all this attention as well as the increasing popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs is that all of us and those in the high pressure jobs have been reporting increased and sometimes fatal levels of stress and pressure and hence, it is no longer a luxury for corporates to have wellness programs, but is a necessity.
Corporate Wellness Leads to Monetary and Nonmonetary Benefits
In other words, employee health and wellbeing is as important as their contributions and the importance of such programs increases as we go up the organizational hierarchy.
Indeed, while employee wellness programs are designed for all levels, we have found that at the senior levels, it is a company policy for middle and senior managers to undergo periodic health checkups.
In addition, it has become the norm for all corporates to have incoming employees undergo pre employment check so that any potential health issues can be detected and thereby, the fitness of such candidates can be ascertained in advance.
Moreover, the fact that employees who fall ill at work or because of work often claim insurance benefits from the corporates makes the case for a corporate wellness programs that much more important.
Apart from lost person hours, and the compensation claimed, a sick workplace tends to drag the overall employee morale down as well as increase the chances of other employees burning out.
This is the reason why many HR Managers now employ wellness consultants on a regular basis to preempt and prevent possible employee outages.
Lastly, well designed corporate wellness programs can help alleviate the health problems of employees and by helping them to find their balance and by pointing the way to good health, such programs do help all stakeholders in monetary and nonmonetary terms.
While organizations benefit from reduced loss of person hours, the employees find themselves motivated to give their best at the workplace for an employer who cares about them.
From a purely humanitarian point of view, it is also contingent on corporates to stand with the employees in distress.
To conclude, corporate wellness programs are here to stay and hence, it is better for HR Managers to include them as part of their responsibilities.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- H R Management - Introduction
- Importance of HRM
- Scope of HRM
- Various Processes in HRM
- What is Human Resource Planning ?
- The HRM Function
- Functions of a Human Resource Manager
- Staffing Role of the HR Manager
- Role of HRM in Leadership Development
- Role of HR in People Empowerment
- Talent Management and HRM
- Management of Contractors
- Performance Management as a HR Management Concept
- Successful Performance Management
- Hiring Strategies
- Social Media Profiles for Hiring Decisions
- Importance of Background Checks
- Retention Strategies
- Strategic HRM
- Global HRM
- Personnel Management vs HRM
- Managing Employee Performance
- Performance Appraisal Process
- Performance Appraisal Interview
- Managing Employee Relations
- Employee Rewards and Recognition
- Variable Pay
- Diversity in Organizations
- Managing Workforce Diversity
- Workplace Health and Safety
- Workplace Safety Programs
- OSHA Safety Manual
- HR Challenges
- Human Resource Audit
- Hiring in Shadow of Stagnating Growth
- The Challenges of Managing Attrition
- Employee Separation Process
- Tips for Pursuing a Career in HRM
- Role of HRM in Recessionary Times
- People Manager vs. Project Manager
- Use of Contract Staff & Temp Workers
- The Necessity of Drafting Proper and Foolproof Employment Contracts
- Importance of Vacation Planning
- Hiring & Firing of Workers: Perspectives
- What to do if You are Laid Off from Job
- Termination and Outplacement
- Emotional Intelligence for Professionals
- Assigning Key Responsibility Areas (KRAs) to Employees
- Role of HR in Performance Appraisals
- HR Policies and Procedures Manual and Employee Handbook
- Managing Downsizing in Organizations
- Managing Attrition in Organizations
- Rise of the Temp Jobs and the Freelance/Sharing Economy
- What is Blind Hiring and Its Implications for the HR Profession
- How Human Resource Managers should Manage Ethical Issues and Ensure Compliance ?
- Issues Related to Human Resource Management in the Hospitality Sector
- Human Resource Management in the Times of Emerging Digital Economy
- Human Resource Management in the Age of Acceleration
- How to Manage Star Performers and High Achievers
- Actualizing a High Trust Organization
- HRM Strategies for an Increasingly Complex, Uncertain, and Volatile World
- How Human Resource Managers can deal with Difficult Employees
- Why Human Resource Management Must Change for the Coming Robotics Revolution
- How Silicon Valley Firms are Implementing Innovative Human Resources Policies
- Effective HRM Strategies to Smoothen and Sweeten the Downsizing and the Layoff Process
- How HR (Human Resources) Function Can Save Time by Automating Routine Tasks
- How HR Managers Can Help Employees Avoid Burnout and Manage Stress
- Human Resource Management Strategies to Diversify the Workforce
- What is an HR Scorecard and How it Helps Contemporary Organizations?
- How Using the HR Scorecard Creates Long Term Value for Organizations
- How Technology Can Help in Collection of Metrics for the HR Scorecard
- HR Scorecard: Aligning People, Strategy, and Performance
- How Using the HR Scorecard Can Address Organizational Dysfunction
- Human Resource Management Best Practices in Contemporary Organizations
- Using HR Scorecard with Analytics to Actualize Next Generation Performance
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Actualize Cross Functional Excellence in Organizations
- How the HR Scorecard can Help Gig Economy Firms to Manage Freelancers Better
- How the HR Scorecard Helps Organizations to Actualize Change Management Initiatives
- How Innovative HR Policies boost Employee Productivity and Organizational Effectiveness
- Changing Recruitment Strategies of Corporates and Tips to Get Hired
- What is Social Mirror and How it Determines Individual Success in Career and Life
- What Do Hiring Managers Look for in Applicants when Making Hiring Decisions
- Why the Future of Work is Virtual, Gig Based, and Cognitive and its implications for HR
- Why HR Managers Must Enforce Data Security and Information Protection Policies
- Why Corporates Must Have Wellness Managers as well as HR Managers
- What is Employee Ghosting and How HR Managers and Organizations Can Deal with it
- The Increasing Popularity of Corporate Wellness Programs and What HR Can Do
- What Experienced HR Managers Watch Out For When Recruiting Candidates
- The Importance of Data Driven Analytics and HR Scorecard Dashboards for Corporates
- What Hiring Managers Look Out For During the Recruitment and Selection Process?
- The Growing Popularity of Flex Work and HR Strategies to Deal with It
- What the Case of Amazonís AI Powered Recruitment Tool Means for Other Corporates
- Pay Cuts vs. Lay-Offs
- Game Changers or Slave Drivers? Human Resource Managers in the Gig Economy Firms
- Preparing for the Workplace of Tomorrow: Some HRM Strategies for the Digital Age
- The Managerial Challenge: Using Early Warning Systems to Spot Signs of Trouble
- Top HR Trends for 2019: Technological Convergence and Smarter HR Management
- How Should HR Managers Deal With Occupational Hazards at the Workplace?
- How HR Managers Must Deal with Legal and Regulatory Challenges in Organizations
- How HR Managers Must Address the Pay Disparities and Pay Gaps in Organizations
- How HR Managers can Make the On-boarding Process more Pleasant and Effective
- Why HR Managers Must Treat the Exit Interviews as Feedback and Learning Experiences
- The Importance of Due Diligence in Human Resource Management Processes
- The HRM Challenge: Managing the Millennials Entering the Workforce
- The Future of Human Resource Management in an Agile Driven and Automated World
- The What, Why, and How of the Difficult Decision to Fire Employees in Organizations
- How Using Blockchain Can Transform the HR Function and Change the Way it Works
- Corporate Corruption and the HRM Function: Legal, Ethical, and Moral Perspectives
- How Predictive Analytics Helps HR Managers Make Better Hiring Decisions
- Skills that the HR Professionals Need to have to be Successful in the Present Times
- The HRM Challenge: Promoting Diversity and Inclusivity in Illiberal and Charged Times
- Role and the Importance of Human Resource Managers in Recessionary Times
- How Blockchain can Help Human Resource Managers in Efficient Management
- HR Professionals and the Law: The What, Why, and How of Awareness of Laws
- Is the European Model of HRM Better than the American Model? Some Perspectives
- The Staffing Challenge in MNCs: Expatriates or Locals in Overseas Locations
- The HRM Challenge: Managing Opinionated Employees in Polarized and Divisive Times
- Why Auditing of the HR Function is Necessary and Important in the Present Times
- The Role of the HR in How Corporates Can Win (and Lose) the Global Race for Talent
- The Changing Nature of Employment and Impact on Professionals and Societies
- Fixing Fraud and Biases in the Recruitment Process and Making it Fair and Transparent
- HRM Strategies in Non Profits and How Similar and Different are They from Corporates
- Organizational and HRM Strategies for Virtual Workplaces and Remote Workforces
- The Role of Feedback in Enhancing Employee Performance and Productivity
- The Role of Monetary and Non Monetary Incentives in Enhancing Employee Performance
- Will Hire and Fire at Will Labour Laws Work in the Indian Socio-Economic Context?
- How Insights from Behavioural Science Can Help Corporates in People Management
- What is Ghosting and How it Disrupts the Hiring Process and Ways to Tackle this Menace
- How Staffing Agencies Need Better Regulation in the Corporate Ecosystem
- How Corporates Have to Let Go of Legacy Employees in an Empathic, Yet, Firm Manner
- Designing an Effective Pay and Perks Package across the Organizational Hierarchy
- Why Do Some Excel in the Interviews, But, Fail on the Job and How HR Can Fix This?
- Why Technology Can Diminish the Role of HR Function, but, Not Eliminate It Altogether
- The Challenges of Recruiting and Onboarding Remote Employees in Virtual Workplaces
- The Importance of Values in Human Resource Management in the Post Pandemic World
- Why We Need Employee Friendly Laws and HR Policies in the Post Pandemic World
- What is Second Chance Hiring and Why It Matters in the Present Times of Distress?
- Pandemic and Lay off: Putting People over Business
- The Hype and Realities of Networking in an Interconnected World and Leveraging Them
- What is Blind Hiring and How it Promotes Diversity and Inclusivity Efforts in Corporates
- What is Great Resignation? What can be done to Address the Mass Attrition Trend
- Why are American Millennials Burning Out and Quitting Jobs in Record Numbers?
- As American Corporates Order Employees Back to Office, What Are the HR Challenges?
- What Is Quiet Quitting, Why It Matters, And How Is It Impacting American Corporates?
- As Tech Firms Layoff Thousands, Is the Party Over and What It Means For Indian IT
- After Quiet Quitting Comes Quiet Hiring! What It Is, And Why It Would Be Trending In 2023!
- Quiet Hiring vs. Traditional Hiring: A Comparative Analysis and What Works When and Why
- White Collar American Workers are burning out More Than Ever! Here are the Reasons Why!
- Who are Boomerang Employees?
- Why is Everyone Talking About Artificial Intelligence Suddenly and How it Matters to All of Us?
- Heres Why Businesses in the United States are Finding it Hard to Hire Workers
- HR Challenge: Both Ageism and Youngism are Forms of Discrimination at the Workplace!