Role of Leaders / Managers in Crisis Management
A sequence of sudden, unplanned and unexpected events leading to instability in the organization and major unrest amongst the individuals is called as crisis.
Crisis generally arises on a short notice and causes major disturbances at the workplace.
Leaders and managers play an extremely important role during crisis.
- One should lead from the front. Show confidence and steadiness. Take complete charge of the situation.
- Managers should have full control on the employees. They should know what is happening around. Any issue neglected in the initial stage might be a major concern later. Problems must be attended immediately. One should not ignore even minor issues or wait for someone else to take the initiative. Any issue left unattended might lead to crisis and major unrest later.
- One should be alert at the workplace. A leader should be able to feel the early signs of crisis and warn the employees against the negative consequences of the same. It is his duty to take precautionary measures to avoid an emergency situation. A leader should be able to foresee crisis. Such a stage is also called as Signal Detection.
- Leaders must try their level best to prevent crisis. Encourage effective communication at the workplace. Let employees discuss issues amongst themselves and come to the best possible alternative to overcome crisis.
- Ask the employees not to panic at the time of crisis. Encourage them to face the tough times with courage, determination and smile. Make them work as a single unit. It is the duty of the leader to provide a sense of direction to the employees.
- The leaders should interact with the employees more often. Let them feel that you are there for them. Impart necessary crisis management trainings to the employees.
- Planning is essential to avoid emergency situations. Learn to take quick decisions. Make sure everyone at the workplace is well informed about emergency situations.
- Identify the important processes and systems which should keep functioning for the smooth running of the organization. Develop alternate plans with correct and accurate information.
- Dont let negativity creep in the organization. Motivate the employees to believe in themselves and the organization. It is essential to trust each other during such situations. Take strict action against those spreading rumours and trying to tarnish organizations image.
- Dont avoid stakeholders, external parties and most importantly media. Come out, meet them and explain the whole situation. Ignoring people makes things worse. Develop strong partnerships with external parties and ask for help.
- Never lose hope. Be a strong pillar of support for your team members. They should be able to fall back on you.
- Leaders should strive hard to come out of tough times as soon as possible. Learn to take risks. Clarify the roles and responsibilities of the individuals during this time.
- Once the organization is out of crisis, it is the leaders duty to communicate the lessons learnt so that employees do not commit same mistakes again. Work hard and relive your organizations image. Adapt well to changes and new situations.
Management Study Guide (MSG) is an educational portal launched with the vision of providing students and corporate workforces worldwide with access to rich, easy to understand, frequently updated instruction on many management related topics.
MSG team comprises experienced faculty and professionals who develop the content for the portal. We collectively refer to our team as - MSG Experts. To Know more, click on About Us.
Learn management concepts & Skills rapidly with easy to understand, richly illustrated learning modules
- Optimum lively Graphics and Animation to make the concept easy to understand
- Enter Your Email Id & Download 9 FREE Powerpoint Presentations Now!