Hybrid Model of Human Capital Management
As the name suggests, hybrid model of human capital management is a mix of common resource pool model and unique skill set model. In hybrid model, employees are multiskilled and have diverse set of experiences and backgrounds. Hybrid model employees come from varied backgrounds and have a generalist profile.
In a laymans language hybrid model of human capital management includes diversified human capital.
Hybrid model includes front office staff, customer care representatives, sales representatives and so on. This model does not include employees with unique skills set but employees who have a generalist profile and are multitalented. Such employees can perform various functions at a single time and thus come up with innovative ideas for the organization.
Hybrid model employees do not require extensive training. Light trainings can solve the purpose. Employees under hybrid model do not have to perform specialized tasks and thus do not require specialized training programs.
A customer care executive does not have to perform complex duties in his/her day to day operations. In the same way a front office executive does not need to develop specialized skillsets. Lighter trainings are useful for them and can make them more efficient for them to contribute towards the functioning of organization.
Hybrid model of human capital management lacks staff members with specialized experiences or unique skills and knowledge. One can find employees who are generalists and thus lack in - depth business knowledge. Such employees would not be able to participate in critical business decisions due to the lack of thorough work knowledge.
Talent acquisition is much simpler in hybrid model of human capital management. Interview processes and formalities are not critical as in unique skill set model. Human resource professionals need to hire individuals with a generalists profile, who do not have much say in the organizations major decisions, policy formulations or goal and objective setting. Hybrid model staff can be hired in just one or two discussions only. You do not need an elaborate questionnaire to hire a customer care executive or a front office staff.
Hybrid model of human capital management reduces the need of trainings. Such a model also lacks good talented resource who can take up the responsibility of guiding his/her team members. In this model there is hardly any qualified, high ranked staff member who can set an example for other team members or lead them. You would hardly find someone who is capable of being a leader or a team member. This is one of the major drawbacks of hybrid model of human capital management.
Following steps should be followed in hybrid model:
- Identify the skills, knowledge your organization has and identify the areas where there is lack of skill portfolio.
- Identify the human capital with skills and knowledge for which there is a high demand but the supply is low.
- Find out the expertise of employees. Talk to them and find out in which all areas they can contribute maximum.
A human resource professional ought to forecast knowledge, skills or expertise his/her organization will need say five years or ten years down the line. Try to analyze the projects in the pipeline.
- Prepare recruitment models and refill strategies.
- Try to design training programs to mentor the employees and upgrade their existing knowledge.
Key Benefits of Hybrid Model
- Easy to train the employees
- Effective communication between team members and team managers
- Flexibility is more in hybrid model of human capital management
- Centralization of processes and functions
- Hybrid model achieves significant operational improvements
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Human Capital Management
- Human Capital Management Drivers
- Importance of HCM
- Benefits of Human Capital Management
- Ways for Organizations to Increase HC
- Ways for an Individual to Boost HC
- Strategic Human Capital Plan
- Unique Skill Set Model
- Common Resource Pool Model
- Hybrid Model of HC Management
- The Age of Oversupply: Why the Future Would be Demanding on the Present Generation