Objectives of Conducting a Group Discussion
Why is a Group Discussion Organized ?
In the previous article, we talked about what is group discussion, the basics and how is it different from a debate. In this article we are going to cover a number of subjects including why a Group discussion is being conducted, the areas of evaluation during a selection GD and some more points:
We all know that recruitment process nowadays is not a cake walk process. It is complex than it used to be in earlier times. Gone are those days, when only basis mark sheets and degree one used to grab a job. Now selection in a company or even in a management college depends on how you perform during your Group Discussion and Personal Interview.
While watching many reality shows, singing or dancing contests on television, we get to see that the judges evaluate the candidates’ skills, not only basis their singing or dancing skill, but an x factor is also important. Now, what is this X factor? This X factor is determined through the group discussions. Hence GD plays an important part in letting the recruiters know, identify and acknowledge your skills other than your educational degrees.
Group Discussion serves several purposes:
- Collecting data
- Breeding fresh ideas and taking inputs from a particular group
- Perception of common people on a particular topic
- Identify a solution to a specific problem or issue
- Selecting candidates after their written test for hiring in a company
- Selecting candidates for admission in an educational institute
The group discussion is a two-way helpful process. A candidate who goes through the process gains clarity of his/her own thoughts, views and opinion. He/She learns how to evolve thinking and come to a solution or conclusion for a certain topic. And on recruiters part, it is helpful as they evaluate a candidates soft skills through Group discussion.
This also allows people to walk around a concept in greater detail and learn the topic in depth. This practice is also being applied during campus interviews and selection process. A group discussion among students is being organized to see and evaluate their thinking skills, listening abilities and how they are communicating their thoughts. One should learn to control the conversation through listening attentively and then having the perseverance to mould it towards his/her own direction.
Benefits of Group Discussions
- It is a good way to engage the participants in a fruitful discussion
- Group discussion generates a creative thinking in all participants, something beyond the obvious answers and solution to a specific problem
- Generate more ideas and a structured presentation of a topic
- Improves analytical abilities to think on a particular given topic
- Enables profound and in-depth understanding of the subject
- Provides different approaches to a topic
- Helps to come to a concluding point or at least near solution to a problem
- Gives a chance to listen, know and understand diverse opinions on a particular matter
- Improves confidence in public speaking platform
- Can alter our perspectives as well
Areas of Evaluation in a Selection GD
Though a group discussion, many things for a particular candidate can be assessed, such as his/her mental capacity to think, his creative bent of mind, Analytical abilities, comprehending a subject and then speaking on it, awareness, attitude, and energy levels. Some of them are detailed below:
- Understanding of the Subject: During a group discussion, it is being constantly assessed how deep your knowledge is about the chosen topic and how well you are aware of each aspect of that topic.
- Assertiveness: You confidence shows up in a group discussion. It is assessed that how confident you are while putting up your opinion in front of other. Others may certainly vary or disagree to the point but how well and how confidently you bring your thoughts forward is what matters the most.
- Team Work: While working in an organization or even during management studies, it is very important to work as a part of the team in a given project or any assignment. This skill is really important and it is evaluated through GD as well. You not only put your own points but also listen to others and then come to a concluding point. This shows how ready you are to listen to others opinion, give value to that and also at the same time stand by your own convictions.
- Willingness to Take the Initiative: This skill plays a very important part in professional and personal life. Employers highly regard it. They want that you just do not stick to your own work but also should be able to take extra initiative whenever it is required. When you start a topic, you have to be very cautious so as to put the right point forward and give the entire discussion a right direction.
- Listening Skills: This is again an important skill which gets evaluated during a group discussion. So, you should learn to listen not to reply back, but pay full attention to what the other person is trying to say. Generally, people get biased to their own thoughts and ideas and do not want to look beyond that. So listening to other person is also essential.
- Adaptability: In todays dynamic and ever-changing environment, it is essential to keep yourself flexible and adaptable toward the situation. During a group discussion, sometimes you need to agree to some point and also it happens that in due course some views change your mind as well. So being rigid and stubborn is not going to be very helpful
- Leadership Qualities: Group discussion demonstrates clearly who amongst them is taking the lead and who is a passive contestant. A good leader gives the entire discussion a good direction and takes it forward whenever it is deviating from the main topic. But while taking the lead, one has to be double sure whether his/her points are valid or not, else it will give the other person a golden opportunity to snatch the lead away and negate his/her points.
- Communication Skills: As communication is a medium of expressing your thought, it is more important in todays interactive world. Hence communication skills are yet again important skills which are evaluated through a structured group discussion.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
- Strategies for Professionals
- How to Develop a Long Term Perspective
- Summer Internships in Business Schools
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Organizational Career Development
- Importance of Career Development
- Designing Career Development Systems
- Benefits of Career Development System
- Components of Career Development
- Objectives of Career Development
- Career Development Issues in Teams
- Mentoring and Career Development
- Career Management
- Career Program Effectiveness
- Implications of Workplace Changes
- Organizational Assessment Programs
- Benefits of Formal Succession Planning
- Career Programs for Special Groups
- Hiring Couples & Relocation Assistance
- Career Personality Tests
- Career Ladders and Career Paths
- Employment Counselling
- Invest in Yourself Continuously
- Role of Organization in Self Improvement
- Role of Mentors in Career Development
- Some Tips for Fresh Graduates
- Tips for Graduates Entering Corporates
- What do Recruiters look for ?
- Tips for New Employees
- Changing Jobs Mid-Career
- Executive Management Programs
- Niche Management Programs
- Business Schools in the West & East
- Reinvent Yourself During Your Career
- Tips to Prepare for the Future
- Preparing Employees for the Future
- The Importance of Networking
- Industry Academia Collaborations
- Choosing the Right Business School
- Choosing Electives & Optional Courses
- Strategies for Professionals
- How to Develop a Long Term Perspective
- Summer Internships in Business Schools
- Rising Cost of Student Education
- Lowering the Education Costs in America
- Top MBA Colleges in India
- Role of Personal Development in Career Growth
- Steps in Personal Development Planning Process
- Executive Management Programs and Part Time Management Programs
- For those Nearing their Forties: How to Plan for your Second Half of Career and Life ?
- Lateral Placements and Some Strategies for those with Work Experience in Business Schools
- Why Professionals and Students Must Invest in Specialized Skills
- Skills are a Key Ingredient of Success in Contemporary Organizations
- How to Deal with Envy at Workplace ?
- Career Choices for the Present Times
- Impact of the Slowdown on those beginning their careers
- Skilling the Workforce to Make them Employable and Contribute to Economic Growth
- What is Linkedin and Why Having a Linked in Profile is Important
- How to Use the Summary Section in LinkedIn
- How to Manage Skills and Endorsements on Linkedin
- Gathering Recommendations and Getting Endorsed
- Joining Groups on Linkedin
- How to Project Yourself as a Brand by Using Strong Keywords and Updating the Profile Periodically
- Dos and Donts of LinkedIn
- What is Group Discussion and How is it Different from a Debate
- Objectives of Conducting a Group Discussion
- Importance of Active Listening and Asking Clarifications in a Group Discussion
- Non Verbal Cues and its Importance in Group Discussion
- Phases in a Group Discussion: Introduction, Central Group Discussion and Summarization
- Role of Participants in a Group Discussion
- How Open Minded are You in a Group Discussion
- Student Loans and the Rising Cost of Useless Degrees
- Problem of Unsustainable Student Debt and How to Manage it ?
- Some Things to Consider When Choosing Off-Beat or Non-Mainstream Careers
- The Dilemma Facing Students and Professionals: Generalization or Specialization ?
- Tips for Professionals on Making Smart Career Moves during your Working Life
- Tips and Suggestions for Those Wishing to Enter Creative Professions
- Why Aspiring and Working Professionals Must Learn to Balance Ambition with Realism
- Career Advice for Those Over 40: Averting a Midlife Crisis and Finding Meaning in Work
- Current Employment Trends and Their Implications for Business, Society, and Individuals
- Some Investment Lessons and Advice for Professionals in the Age of the Gig Economy
- Designing and Implementing an Effective Work from Home Policy
- How Self Learning can help you be Ahead of the Curve in a Fast Changing World
- Why Reskilling Might be the Solution to Avoiding Job Losses from Automation and Robots
- The Need for Professionals and Experts to be Independent in Highly Polarized Times
- Income Sharing Agreement: An Answer to Student Debt?
- Transitioning From College to the Corporate World: Challenges and Approaches
- Should Corporates Make Work from Home Arrangements Permanent or Temporary?
- How the Covid Pandemic has altered the Notions of Work, Education, and Employment
- HRM Strategies for the Post Covid Era and the New Normal of Virtual Workplaces
- What is Career Path Mapping and Why Organizations Gain from Mapping Career Paths
- Does Academic Excellence Guarantee Professional Success or It Just Gives a Head Start?
- Why the Future of Learning is Virtual and How to Prepare for Online Education Models
- The Myth of the 8 Hour Workday! Why we need a New Approach to Productivity
- Return to Office Mandates in America