Principles of Scientific Management
Development of Science for each part of mens job (replacement of rule of thumb)
- This principle suggests that work assigned to any employee should be observed, analyzed with respect to each and every element and part and time involved in it.
- This means replacement of odd rule of thumb by the use of method of enquiry, investigation, data collection, analysis and framing of rules.
- Under scientific management, decisions are made on the basis of facts and by the application of scientific decisions.
Scientific Selection, Training & Development of Workers
- There should be scientifically designed procedure for the selection of workers.
- Physical, mental & other requirement should be specified for each and every job.
- Workers should be selected & trained to make them fit for the job.
- The management has to provide opportunities for development of workers having better capabilities.
- According to Taylor efforts should be made to develop each employee to his greatest level and efficiency & prosperity.
Co-operation between Management & workers or Harmony not discord
- Taylor believed in co-operation and not individualism.
- It is only through co-operation that the goals of the enterprise can be achieved efficiently.
- There should be no conflict between managers & workers.
- Taylor believed that interest of employer & employees should be fully harmonized so as to secure mutually understanding relations between them.
Division of Responsibility
- This principle determines the concrete nature of roles to be played by different level of managers & workers.
- The management should assume the responsibility of planning the work whereas workers should be concerned with execution of task.
- Thus planning is to be separated from execution.
- The workers and managers should have a complete change of outlook towards their mutual relation and work effort.
- It requires that management should create suitable working condition and solve all problems scientifically.
- Similarly workers should attend their jobs with utmost attention, devotion and carefulness. They should not waste the resources of enterprise.
- Handsome remuneration should be provided to workers to boost up their moral.
- It will create a sense of belongingness among worker.
- They will be disciplined, loyal and sincere in fulfilling the task assigned to them.
- There will be more production and economical growth at a faster rate.
Maximum Prosperity for Employer & Employees
- The aim of scientific management is to see maximum prosperity for employer and employees.
- It is important only when there is opportunity for each worker to attain his highest efficiency.
- Maximum output & optimum utilization of resources will bring higher profits for the employer & better wages for the workers.
- There should be maximum output in place of restricted output.
- Both managers & workers should be paid handsomely.
|Search Management Study Guide