Strategies for Improving Communication in High-Performance Teams
High-Performance teams can be of various types depending upon the objectives or the goals which are required to be fulfilled, which can be distinguished on the basis of the characteristics. Communication is the most pertinent factor which determines the level of cohesion or effectiveness of a team. According to the research study conducted by Ashridge Business School, communication takes almost 50%-70% of the team of a leader for providing a strong foundation to the high-performance team.
In such teams, the members should be able to competencies in handling interactions and communicating with others in terms of giving and receiving feedback, conflict resolution or handling disagreements. The success of a high-performance team will depend upon the strategies of communication which is followed by a leader for keeping all the team members informed about the major decisions and involving them in the process.
Communication strategies do play a pivotal role in facilitating a positive change in the organizational environment and boosting high-performance. A comprehensive communication strategy sets the direction and the tone for progressive reforms and strengthens the relationship between the team members. Effective communication make every team member more focused towards their goals and exchange of feedback on the possible areas of improvements and strengths. It has a considerable impact on the organizations capacity to learn, evolve and innovate.
- By Meeting Regularly: By holding regular meetings, all the team members can be involved and informed about the major project related decisions or strategic changes. Frequent meetings helps in providing an equal or a fair chance or an opportunity to the team member to voice out their ideas or share certain status updates. For reducing the possible time wastage in a meeting, the meeting should be scheduled for not more than 50 minutes, as that will provide enough time to all the team members to share their views and handle the required administrative requirements.
To ensure that the meetings are held within the schedule, the following steps can be followed:
- Entrusting someone with the responsibility of timekeeping for monitoring the time continuously.
- Distribution of the agenda of the meeting to all the team members before the commencement of the meeting.
- Requesting the members of the team to be prepared with the issues or the key agenda items which they would like to highlight in the meeting.
- Unless the issue is urgent, keep the non-agenda item as the last priority or to be discussed later so that unnecessary time is not wasted on insignificant matters.
- The next meeting should be schedules in advance and needs to be informed to the team members accordingly. The team members can maintain a record of all the issues or topics of discussion which they may wish to carry forth in the next meeting.
- Understanding the objective or the purpose of communication.
- Paying attention to the audiences and their background. Are they the team members, vendors, clients or stakeholders)
- Clarity on the desired outcomes.
- Selection of the best medium of communication for realizing the pre-defined objectives by setting the processes in place and ensuring effective communication across the team.
Cohesive teams deliver exemplary outcomes and achieve superior benchmarks in the projects by practising equity and having respect for each others position as a vital member in the team.
To conclude, effective communication strategy should pay a great deal of importance to the following factors:
- The team members should carefully plan their communication keeping in view the organizations interest.
- Ensuring the delivery of clear messages across all parts of the organization.
- Ensuring that the messages to be sent are simple, easy to comprehend with minimum interpreters or filters which can cause unnecessary communication misunderstandings.
- Effective communication strategy should be able to inspire and invigorate the team members for delivering excellence at work.
- Whatever is being communicated, the messages composed should be user-friendly, easy to access and have a personal undertone.
- Multiple channels should be used for disseminating the information. The information should be equally accessible to all the team members irrespective of their position or level in the hierarchy.
- Effective communication can take place in an environment of trust and openness.
- Communication strategies set the dimension or the processes in place for the people to deliver the best of the professional outcomes.
- The members of the high-performance teams indulge in multi-directional communication for delivering quick and measurable results in terms of improved profitability or the achievement of the project goals.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Understanding Team
- Team Development - Introduction
- Team Management
- Team Management Skills
- Characteristics of a Good Team
- Team Models
- Types of Teams
- Team Work
- Importance of a Team
- Importance of Team Building
- Team Contracts
- Building an Effective Team
- Success Factors in Team Building
- Extracting the best from a Team
- How to build Your Best Team
- Clarity of Roles in a Team
- Preventing Fall Outs in a Team
- Role of Communication in Team
- Role of Motivation & Attitude in Team
- Role of a Team Leader
- Team Failures - Why teams fail ?
- How to be a Effective team player
- Team Building - Introduction
- Team Building Tips
- Tips to be a Good Team Member
- Team Building Games & Activities
- Team Building Barriers
- Skills and Qualities of a Team Member
- Effective Team Building Strategies that can be Implemented by any Organization
- What Team Building Strategies Must Focus on to be Effective in Actualizing Outcomes
- Difference Between a Team and a High-Performance Team
- Types of Team Members in a High Performance Team
- Ten Important Characteristics of High-Performance Work Teams
- What Makes High-Performance Teams Standout
- Essential Steps Involved in Building High-Performance Teams
- Strategies for Improving Communication in High-Performance Teams
- Importance of Effective Communication in Building High-Performance Teams
- Leaders Role in Building High-Performance Teams
- Emotional Intelligence for High-Performance Teams
- Common Barriers to the Successful Functioning of High-Performing Teams
- Role of HR in Facilitating and Developing High-Performance Teams
- Team Management in Agile and Automated Organizations
- Team Management in the #MeToo Era: Actualizing a Discrimination Free culture