Skills and Must Have Qualities of a Team Member
Teams are formed when individuals with a similar interest, taste, need and even attitude work together to achieve a common goal. Conflicts must be avoided among the team members so that they are able to concentrate on their work and do not lose their focus and concentration. Every individual is not a good team player and requires skills to successfully work in a team. A team member must have certain qualities in him so that he is not only able to work in a team but also deliver results and grow both professionally and personally.
Let us go through some skills which a team member must have:
- An individual should be a good communicator to be a good team member. He should be able to carefully put his thoughts into words for everyone to understand it well. He should be sensible enough to carefully choose his words for sharing his thoughts with others. One should master the art of speaking clearly and convincingly without confusing the listeners.
- Be a little forgiving. Dont unnecessarily drag issues. Take the initiative to say sorry and avoid making issues out of small things. Dont take things to heart.
- One has to be reliable and trustworthy to survive in a team. Do not ever discuss any issues with someone outside the team. It is no harm to make friends from the opponent team, but make sure you do not discuss business with him. Always learn to draw a line between your personal and professional lives. The strategies, agendas, critical issues of the team must not be discussed with anyone except those involved in it. Any information with you must not be leaked. Any team member might trust you and share something important and personal with you, dont reveal his secret in front of your boss as well as others. It will hurt him.
- You have to be a good listener to be an effective team player. Listen to other people as well. Dont draw conclusions on your own. Sit with your team and discuss strategies and policies before implementing. Give a patient ear to your team members before coming to any decision.
- Positive attitude is again a must for a team member. Do not spread negativity around. Avoid blame games and spreading unnecessary rumours.Sometimes ignore things which are not that important, rather than fighting over it. Avoid people who have a tendency to overreact. Dont go by what others say, it is always better to follow your own instinct. One should never use derogatory sentences or lewd remarks against anyone in the team. Try to look at the positive aspects, instead of cribbing.
- A team member must express his views in front of others. Do not sit quiet in meetings and seminars. Dont assume that the others will laugh at you or make fun of your ideas.
- Participate in discussions and try to make your point clear in front of your superiors and team mates. Convince them with valid reasons.
- Be a little more focused and concentrate on your work rather than interfering in each others work. Always respect each others privacy. Remember you are paid for your work and not for gossiping and loitering around. One must have the zeal to work hard to achieve the teams goal.
- Be a little more creative. Everyone works hard but one who works smartly walks away with the credit. Be very clear about your roles and responsibilities and never take it as a burden. Accept the challenges with a smiling face. Always try to do something out of the box. Be a little more involved and serious about your work.
- One has to be patient enough to work in a team. Dont ever get hyper or react over petty issues. One should not unnecessarily indulge in conflicts and misunderstandings. Enter the office with a cool mind. Be a little more flexible. Avoid being adamant and rigid.
- One should always be willing to help each other at the times of crisis. Be helpful and stand by your team members always. Never say ill about anyone in the team. Discuss issues face to face.
- For any individual, his team must come first, and everything else should take a back seat. Do not always think about your personal interests.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Understanding Team
- Team Development - Introduction
- Team Management
- Team Management Skills
- Characteristics of a Good Team
- Team Models
- Types of Teams
- Team Work
- Importance of a Team
- Importance of Team Building
- Team Contracts
- Building an Effective Team
- Success Factors in Team Building
- Extracting the best from a Team
- How to build Your Best Team
- Clarity of Roles in a Team
- Preventing Fall Outs in a Team
- Role of Communication in Team
- Role of Motivation & Attitude in Team
- Role of a Team Leader
- Team Failures - Why teams fail ?
- How to be a Effective team player
- Team Building - Introduction
- Team Building Tips
- Tips to be a Good Team Member
- Team Building Games & Activities
- Team Building Barriers
- Skills and Qualities of a Team Member
- Effective Team Building Strategies that can be Implemented by any Organization
- What Team Building Strategies Must Focus on to be Effective in Actualizing Outcomes
- Difference Between a Team and a High-Performance Team
- Types of Team Members in a High Performance Team
- Ten Important Characteristics of High-Performance Work Teams
- What Makes High-Performance Teams Standout
- Essential Steps Involved in Building High-Performance Teams
- Strategies for Improving Communication in High-Performance Teams
- Importance of Effective Communication in Building High-Performance Teams
- Leaders Role in Building High-Performance Teams
- Emotional Intelligence for High-Performance Teams
- Common Barriers to the Successful Functioning of High-Performing Teams
- Role of HR in Facilitating and Developing High-Performance Teams
- Team Management in Agile and Automated Organizations
- Team Management in the #MeToo Era: Actualizing a Discrimination Free culture