Store Design and Layout - Different Floor Plans and Layouts
Opening a retail store is no joke and requires meticulous planning and detailed knowledge.
Make sure your store is in a prime location and is easily accessible to the end-users. Do not open a store at a secluded place.
The retailer must plan out each and everything well, the location of the shelves or racks to display the merchandise, the position of the mannequins or the cash counter and so on.
Straight Floor Plan
The straight floor plan makes optimum use of the walls, and utilizes the space in the most judicious manner. The straight floor plan creates spaces within the retail store for the customers to move and shop freely. It is one of the commonly implemented store designs.
Diagonal Floor Plan
According to the diagonal floor plan, the shelves or racks are kept diagonal to each other for the owner or the store manager to have a watch on the customers. Diagonal floor plan works well in stores where customers have the liberty to walk in and pick up merchandise on their own.
Angular Floor Plan
The fixtures and walls are given a curved look to add to the style of the store. Angular floor plan gives a more sophisticated look to the store. Such layouts are often seen in high end stores.
Geometric Floor Plan
The racks and fixtures are given a geometric shape in such a floor plan. The geometric floor plan gives a trendy and unique look to the store.
Mixed Floor Plan
The mixed floor plan takes into consideration angular, diagonal and straight layout to give rise to the most functional store lay out.
Tips for Store Design and Layout
- The signage displaying the name and logo of the store must be installed at a place where it is visible to all, even from a distance. Dont add too much information.
- The store must offer a positive ambience to the customers. The customers must leave the store with a smile.
- Make sure the mannequins are according to the target market and display the latest trends. The clothes should look fitted on the dummies without using unnecessary pins. The position of the dummies must be changed from time to time to avoid monotony.
- The trial rooms should have mirrors and must be kept clean. Do not dump unnecessary boxes or hangers in the dressing room.
- The retailer must choose the right colour for the walls to set the mood of the customers. Prefer light and subtle shades.
- The fixtures or furniture should not act as an object of obstacle. Dont unnecessary add too many types of furniture at your store.
- The merchandise should be well arranged and organized on the racks assigned for them. The shelves must carry necessary labels for the customers to easily locate the products they need. Make sure the products do not fall off the shelves.
- Never play loud music at the store.
- The store should be adequately lit so that the products are easily visible to the customers. Replace burned out lights immediately.
- The floor tiles, ceilings, carpet and the racks should be kept clean and stain free.
- There should be no bad odour at the store as it irritates the customers.
- Do not stock anything at the entrance or exit of the store to block the way of the customers. The customers should be able to move freely in the store.
- The retailer must plan his store in a way which minimizes theft or shop lifting.
- Merchandise should never be displayed at the entrance or exit of the store.
- Expensive products like watches, jewellery, precious stones, mobile handsets and so on must be kept in locked cabinets.
- Install cameras, CCTVs to have a closed look on the customers.
- Instruct the store manager or the sales representatives to try and assist all the customers who come for shopping.
- Ask the customers to deposit their carry bags at the entrance itself.
- Do not allow the customers to carry more than three dresses at one time to the trial room.
Learn management concepts & skills rapidly with easy to understand, richly illustrated self-paced learning modules & downloadable powerpoint presentations.
Click below to view DEMO on Retail Store Operation and Store Management
|❮ Previous Article||Next Article ❯|
About the Author(s)
MSG team comprises experienced faculty and professionals who develop the content for the portal. We collectively refer to our team as - MSG Experts. To Know more, click on About Us.
- What is Retail ?
- Types of Retail Outlets
- Retail Mechanism
- Retail Pricing
- Retail Merchandising
- Cross Merchandising
- Visual Merchandising
- Retail Management
- Category Management
- Retail Marketing
- Role of Advertising in Retail
- Retail Store Operations
- Store Design and Layout
- Role of Signage in Retail Industry
- Role of Coupons in Retail Marketing
- What affects Customers Buying Decision
- Tips to be a Successful Retailer
- Store manager - Roles & Responsibilities
- Mannequins - Purpose and its Importance
- What are Planograms ?
- Inventory Management in Retail Industry