Product Positioning Process - Steps in Product Positioning
The process of creating an image of a product in the minds of the consumers is called as positioning. Positioning helps to create first impression of brands in the minds of target audience. In simpler words positioning helps in creating a perception of a product or service amongst the consumers.
The brand Bisleri stands for purity.
The brand Ceat Tyre stands for better grip.
Steps to product Positioning
Marketers with the positioning process try to create a unique identity of a product amongst the customers.
- Know your target audience well
It is essential for the marketers to first identify the target audience and then understand their needs and preferences. Every individual has varied interests, needs and preferences. No two individuals can think on the same lines.
Know what your customers expect out of you.
The products must fulfill the demands of the individuals.
- Identify the product features
The marketers themselves must be well aware of the features and benefits of the products. It is rightly said you cant sell something unless and until you yourself are convinced of it.
A marketer selling Nokia phones should himself also use a Nokia handset for the customers to believe him.
- Unique selling Propositions
Every product should have USPs; at least some features which are unique. The organizations must create USPs of their brands and effectively communicate the same to the target audience.
The marketers must themselves know what best their product can do.
Find out how the products can be useful to the end-users ?
Why do people use Anti Dandruff Shampoo?
Anti Dandruff Shampoos are meant to get rid of dandruff. This is how the product is positioned in the minds of the individuals.
Individuals purchase Dabur Chyawanprash to strengthen their bodys internal defense mechanism and fight against germs, infections and stress. Thats the image of Dabur Chyawanprash in the minds of consumers.
USP of a Nokia Handset - Better battery backup.
USP of Horlicks Foodles - Healthy snack
Communicate the USPs to the target audience through effective ways of advertising. Use banners, slogans, inserts and hoardings.
Let individuals know what your brand offers for them to decide what is best for them.
- Know your competitors
- A marketer must be aware of the competitors offerings. Let the individuals know how your product is better than the competitors?
- Never underestimate your competitors.
- Let the target audience know how your product is better than others.
- The marketers must always strive hard to have an edge over their competitors.
- Ways to promote brands
- Choose the right theme for the advertisement.
- Use catchy taglines.
- The advertisement must not confuse people.
- The marketer must highlight the benefits of the products.
- Maintain the position of the brand
- For an effective positioning it is essential for the marketers to continue to live up to the expectations of the end - users.
- Never compromise on quality.
- Dont drastically reduce the price of your products.
- A Mercedes car would not be the same if its price is reduced below a certain level.
- A Rado watch would lose its charm if its price is equal to a Sonata or a Maxima Watch.
|❮ Previous Article||Next Article ❯|
About the Author(s)
MSG team comprises experienced faculty and professionals who develop the content for the portal. We collectively refer to our team as - MSG Experts. To Know more, click on About Us.
- What is a Market ?
- Market Segmentation - Introduction
- Need for Market Segmentation
- Steps in Market Segmentation
- Marketing Mix
- Target Marketing
- Target Market Selection
- Product Positioning Process
- Difference between Market Segmentation, Targeting and Positioning
- Marketing Mix Analysis for Entry of a Microwave Maker