Tips for Conflict Management for Professionals
Conflict arises when individuals opine in dissimilar ways or have varied interests, attitudes and even perceptions. Misunderstandings among individuals and ego clashes also result in a conflict. Conflict can arise any time and at any place when individuals are not willing to adjust with each other and are adamant on their views and thoughtprocesses. One must understand that a conflict never benefits anyone and it only leads to disagreements and displeasures. Conflicts must be strictly avoided at workplaces as it hampers the productivity of the workers and they are unable to concentrate on their work. It wastes ones time and energy and the employee is restless and anxious always and doesnt enjoy his work.
Steps must be taken to prevent conflict at the right time in offices to avoid unnecessary tensions and disharmony. Employees must ensure that more focus is on productive output rather than unnecessary fighting with each other. A professional must try his level best to avoid conflicts and its negative consequences.
Let us go through some handy tips for conflict management for professionals.
- Make sure your communication is effective and impressive: Never play with words or share haphazard thoughts with others, instead use corporate jargons and professional terminologies for better understanding. If you yourself are not clear what you expect from your fellow worker, the other person will never be able to understand what you intend to communicate. Be very precise but convincing. The content has to be relevant and sensible. Avoid using derogatory sentences and lewd remarks as it is considered strictly unprofessional. Dont adopt a casual approach at work.
- Be a good and a patient listener: Never jump with your question in between any presentation or seminar, as it seriously offends the speaker and results in displeasure. Wait for your turn to speak. Dont poke your nose into others conversation. Never interfere in each others work. Let your colleagues have some space. Always listen to the other person as well and then decide what is right and wrong.
- Dont always depend on verbal communication at workplace: Professionals must communicate through emails as it is more reliable and transparent. Make sure the e-mail is marked to all the related members so that everyone is on the same lines and get a common picture. Take care of your mail body, style and font. Be transparent in your communication. Never communicate with individuals separately as people feel left out and start fighting with each other. Business Communication must be on an open forum inviting all the participants.
- Professionals must develop the habit of using planners, organizers and desk calendars at work: You cannot remember each and every thing, so it is always advisable to jot down the points to avoid forgetting important things. Encircle the dates on the desktop calendar when you have to submit an important report to your boss or have to go for a meeting and place it right in front of you. It would prevent unnecessary stress and conflicts. Never attend any meeting without a pen and a paper. It will bother you later on.
- The pitch and the tone have to be taken great care of: Dont be too low as others will not be able to understand you properly. Never ever shout or be rude to your colleagues. Shouting solves no problems and it seriously goes against you. Soften your pitch but be convincing. Professionals must take care of their accent, correct pronunciation, punctuations, pauses etc to make the speech impressive and for others to listen attentively.
- Adopt a positive attitude: Dont always find faults in the other person and assume that he is always wrong. Listen to his side of the story as well and never underestimate your fellow worker. If you do not agree with the other person, dont start arguing, instead sit with him face to face, discuss and make him understand your point. He will feel glad. Leave your personal problems out before stepping in the office and always keep your personal interests on the back burner. Find reasons to be happy as negative thoughts always lead to conflicts and disagreements. You cant misbehave with your colleagues just because you are in a fowl mood.
- Never criticize anyone or make him feel small: If he has done anything wrong, make him realize his mistakes instead of making fun of him. Correct him, wherever he is wrong but in a polite way. He will respect you and look up to you in the future. Everyone is equal and one must respect his fellow worker to earn respect in return.
- Prefer the conference room, board room or any suitable place for presentations, seminars and discussions: Avoid communicating at places like workstations, cafeteria, playgrounds or other noisy places as noise acts as a hindrance and creates misunderstandings and confusions. Dont just speak for the sake of speaking.
- A professional must avoid blame games at work: Learn to own your responsibilities and do not always blame others for your mistakes. Never drag issues and be a little more forgiving. Dont always expect the others to come up to you and admit their mistakes. Take the initiative and be the first one to say sorry. It works and solves major conflict and also improves relations among individuals. Kill your ego at workplaces.
- The superiors must ensure that the team members are assigned responsibilities according to their key responsibility areas and specializations: Never impose your decisions or views on others. Things must be discussed with everyone before implementation. An individual has to be a little more flexible and adjusting at workplaces. Never be too demanding or rigid. Things cant always be just like the way you want.
- Be impartial at work: Do not favour anyone just because he is your friend. Stand by what is right and do oppose someone who is wrong. Do not blame anyone just because you do not like him. An individual must be judged by the hard work he puts in and not by his physical appearance or relations with you.
- Never discuss your work and responsibilities with others and learn to keep things a little confidential: Never spread unnecessary and baseless rumors about anyone. Gossips and backbitings must be strictly avoided at work. Encourage healthy competition at work and stay away from controversies. Too much of a friendship at work is bad and must be avoided. Avoid doing personal favours at work.
Conflicts must be avoided at workplace so that employees do not carry tensions back home and are able to give their best to benefit themselves as well as the organization.
|Search Management Study Guide