The Importance of Thought Leaders and Influencers in the Age of Social Media
Who are Thought Leaders and Why they are Important?
We often hear the terms, Thought Leaders and Influencers, being bandied about in the media and among business circles.
When people talk about them, it is usually with a tone of respect and awe and admiration. This is more of the case with those who are active on social media as well as those engaged in branding and digital marketing wherein they refer to these individuals as being very important for marketing success.
So, who exactly are Thought Leaders and Influencers and why are they so important?
To start with, Thought Leaders are those who provide direction and guidance to businesses, governmental and nongovernmental organisations, laypersons, readers, and just about anyone who are interested in understanding future trends, present events, and lessons from the past events.
In other words, Thought Leaders are those who by virtue of their intellect and intelligence and due to their unique insights into work and life function like the Oracles of yesteryear wherein they parley their knowledge and skills to comment about the past, present, and the future.
This is the reason why they are invited to lectures, consulting assignments, and are sought out for advice on everything from how to run businesses to their help in interpreting the signals and the trends shaping our future.
Who are Influencers and why they are so important?
Turning to Influencers, these individuals perform more or less the same roles of the Thought Leaders except that their main mode of operation is on Social Media.
While Thought Leaders sometimes publish papers and journal articles as well as bring out Whitepapers and attend conferences, Influencers too do some or all of these things except that they derive their power from their huge follower base on social media such as Facebook and Twitter.
Indeed, as the term implies, Influencers are those who can persuade and influence their followers to adopt or desist from a particular course of action.
In times when social media has become the medium of choice for everything related to work and life, the power of Influencers is such that they can make or mar the chances of all of us.
For instance, if an Influencer on Instagram posts a negative review about a particular brand, chances are that the sales of such brands can be impacted negatively since their followers swear by them and hence, this is the reason why marketers like to keep the Influencers in good humour.
Are we Placing Thought Leaders and Influencers on a Pedestal?
Having said that, there are some dissenting voices who protest that Thought Leaders and Influencers are being given too much importance and more so, the fact that social media has become an unruly and chaotic jungle means that it is time that these individuals were reined in.
The line of thinking behind this feeling is that even if there are some good aspects of Thought Leaders and Influencers and their posts making the world a better place, there are allegations that they are abusing their prominence and influences for purposes that are not necessarily ideal or for that matter, desirable.
Indeed, in recent months, there have been media reports on how Influencers on social media are taking money and other inducements to promote certain political parties and to write negative posts about the others.
Moreover, there is also a feeling that Thought Leaders and Influencers who are in a position to influence Young Minds are not exactly being responsible with their words and actions on social media.
While it is no ones case that these individuals should not make money or profit from their position, it is definitely a matter of concern if they abuse their power.
Why Social Media Needs Thought Leaders and Influencers?
On the other hand, the Cacophony of Social Media is such that we tend to gravitate towards and coalesce around a few individuals with a large follower base as their popularity and followership means that we gain from their insights.
Moreover, when we quote them in our everyday work and life, chances are that our audiences would be more receptive and familiar with leading Thought Leaders and Influencers which would provide our presentations and speeches with more traction.
Therefore, these individuals do play an important role in communicating what they think present events mean how the past shapes our future and other such insights.
In addition, while Influencers on social media can be anyone from Movie Stars to Sportspersons to Media celebrities, Thought Leaders occupy a special place especially as they provide intellectual guidance to us.
Therefore, while each of these individuals focus on a specific niche, their combined and collective efforts mean that we benefit from their knowledge and wisdom. As mentioned earlier, each age has such individuals and the viral nature of social media means that their importance in the present times is magnified more.
Thus, these are some of the reasons why Thought Leaders and Influencers are important in the Age of Social Media.
Some Concluding Thoughts
Lastly, while anyone can become a self proclaimed Thought Leader or Influencer, the proof of their success lies in how viral their posts become and how many followers as well as the diversity and spread of their base is concerned.
In other words, it takes much to become a leading figure on social media if one excludes politicians and celebrities and hence, these individuals have certainly earned their prominence.
To conclude, the next time you run across a Thought Leader or an Influencer on social media, remember the points we made here and then decide for yourself whether you want to follow them on social media.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- Leadership - Introduction
- Importance of Leadership
- Role of a Leader
- Qualities of a Leader
- Leadership and Management
- Leader versus Manager
- Authority vs Leadership
- Leadership and Motivation
- Emotional Intelligence for Leaders
- Organizational Leadership
- Leadership Ethics
- Leadership Strategy
- Leadership Styles
- Personal Leadership Brand
- Level 5 Leadership
- Situational Leadership
- Situational Leadership and Motivation
- Leadership & Subordinate Development
- Leadership Development - Introduction
- Intrinsic vs Extrinsic Motivation
- Inside Leaders vs. Outside Leaders
- Transformational Leadership
- Leadership for the 21st Century
- The Transleader
- Three Traits of Effective Leadership
- Importance of Compassion in Leadership
- An Important Advice to Future Leaders
- Avoiding Focus on Quarterly Earnings
- Reinventing Management for 21st Century
- Ambidextrous Leadership
- Invest in Oneself
- Social Media Skills for Leaders
- Social Stratification and Hierarchy
- The Ethical Imperative
- Leadership in the Face of Adversity
- Emotional and Spiritual Intelligence
- Leadership Theories
- Blake and Moutons Managerial Grid
- Houses Path Goal Theory
- Great Man Theory
- Trait Theory
- LMX Theory
- Transformational Leadership
- Transactional Leadership
- Continuum of Leadership Behaviour
- Likerts Management System
- Hersey Blanchard Model
- Fiedlers Contingency Model
- Leadership and Trust
- How to be a Good Leader ?
- Effective Leadership Skills
- Leadership Vision
- Different Types of Power
- Women and Leadership
- What are the Challenges in Leadership ?
- Tips to Overcome Challenges in Leadership
- Role of Communication in Overcoming Leadership Challenges
- Role of Management/Organization in Overcoming Leadership Challenges
- Tips to Strengthen Bond Among Employees
- Vision of Leaders has to be Actualized by Middle Management for Organizational Success
- Leadership in the Time of Epic Changes and Struggles Over Ethics and Values
- Great Leadership is about Initiating, Sustaining, and Carrying through Ones Vision
- Cultural Dimensions of Leadership
- Scarcity vs. Abundant Mindsets in Leaders
- Different Folks, Different Strokes! The Many Leadership Styles in the Real World
- Persuasion and the Art of Changing Minds are Essential for Contemporary Leaders
- Managing in Chaos: A Necessary Skill for Managers and Leaders
- Leadership in the Contemporary World
- Need to Develop Network Thinking and Seventh Sense for Success in the 21st Century
- Why Do Some Business Leaders Attain Greatness Whereas Others Fail?
- Hands on Approach to Leadership: The Need for Leaders to be Good Administrators
- How Great Leaders Transform Organizations, Nations, Societies, and the World
- Why Business and Political Leaders Must be Institution Builders to Ensure Longevity
- Qualities of an Inspirational Leader and their Benefits
- Foundation Pillars of Successful Leaders
- Self Assessment for Leadership: Assessing the Strengths and Vulnerabilities for Improving Leadership Effectiveness
- Self Motivation for Leaders
- Techniques for Developing Self-Motivation
- Leadership Development Plan
- Writing a Leadership Development Plan
- When Hope Meets Reality: The Challenges for Leaders to Sustain the Momentum
- The Challenge for Contemporary Leaders is to Restore Trust and Faith in Institutions
- The Ever Shortening Business Cycles and What They Mean for Business Leaders
- Leadership Case Study: Steve Jobs - The Man Who Ushered in the Smartphone Revolution
- Why Leaders Must be in Control over the Direction and Pace of Organizational Change
- The 4Cs of Leadership Styles for Leadership in the Digital Age
- Lessons for Business Leaders from the Downfall of Charles Ghosn of Renault - Nissan
- Truly Great Leadership is All about Walking the Talk in All Aspects of Being Leaders
- Examining the Crisis of the Leader Follower Relationship in the Present Times
- How Great Leaders use a Mix of Micromanagement and Hands off Approaches
- Leadership during Crises is what Distinguishes Great Leaders from Manager Leaders
- What the Dalai Lama can teach Corporate Honchos about Leadership and Management
- Why we Need more Emotionally Intelligent Leaders and Managers in Chaotic Times
- Why the Digital Age Calls for a New Approach to Leadership and Team Management
- Business Leadership in the Age of Nationalism and Populism and the Rocky Road Ahead
- Leadership in a Collapsing World When Faced with Insurmountable Problems
- The Importance of Thought Leaders and Influencers in the Age of Social Media
- Leadership by Optics Management: Taking the Howdy Modi Event as a Case Study
- What Should Leaders do in Low Growth and Recessionary Times
- What Ails India Inc. and is it a Crisis of Leadership or a Structural Issue to be Addressed?
- The Tyranny of the Quarterly Results: Why Business Leaders must Avoid Short-Termism
- The Perils of Leaders and Their Personality Cults in Times of Authoritarian Rulers
- Leadership in the Digital Age and Why Contemporary Leaders Must Master These Skills
- Misdemeanours by Senior Leaders Must Be Handled Firmly and the Right Message Sent
- When Hope Meets Reality: Why Visionary Leaders Have to Balance Dreams with Realities
- Power as a Managerial Tool
- Why We Need More Self Aware and Less Self Centred Leaders, Who Can Self Evaluate