Equity to Fixed Assets Ratio
Equity to Fixed Assets Ratio = Equity / Total Fixed Assets
- Equity includes the retained earnings
- Total Fixed assets excludes intangible assets of the firm
The equity to fixed assets ratio shows analysts the relative exposure of shareholders and debt holders to the fixed assets of the firm. Thus, if the equity to fixed assets ratio is 0.9, this means that shareholders have financed 90% of the fixed assets of the company. The remaining 10% as well as current assets and investments have all been financed by debt holders.
There is an implicit assumption that the number of shares outstanding has remained unchanged. This is because the ratio measures the total amount of equity. The total amount of equity can be increased by issuing shares at lower prices to the public or to the promoters. However, this may not be a desirable scenario since more shares means a loss to individual shareholders.
The equity to fixed assets ratio is used by a variety of stakeholders for different purposes. The common interpretations that are drawn based on this ratio have been listed below:
- Creditworthiness: Bankers and other lenders use the equity to fixed assets ratio widely. They use it to understand how much of the fixed assets of the firm are already financed by debt. A firm with a low equity to fixed assets ratio has not utilized its credit to the maximum and therefore extension of credit is relatively secure. This is because in the event of a liquidation, the creditors have the first claim over the proceeds recovered from the assets.
- Conservative vs. Aggressive: What might be good news for the bankers may not be such great news for the equity shareholders. This is because if the firm has a very low fixed assets to equity ratio, it means that the firm is underutilizing its credit. This means that the shareholders could have achieved a higher rate of return in case the company managed its operations better and used credit to its advantage. Hence a high equity to fixed assets ratio is not a very good sign either.
- Less than 0.65 Not Recommended: Based on empirical evidence, certain analysts have concluded that companies that have a equity to fixed assets ratio of less than 0.65 are very risky bets. Companies where shareholders own less than 65% of the fixed assets are likely to cash strapped and debt ridden. These companies usually run into solvency and liquidity issues and therefore must be avoided.
|❮❮ Previous||Next ❯❯|
Authorship/Referencing - About the Author(s)
The article is Written By Prachi Juneja and Reviewed By Management Study Guide Content Team. MSG Content Team comprises experienced Faculty Member, Professionals and Subject Matter Experts. We are a ISO 2001:2015 Certified Education Provider. To Know more, click on About Us. The use of this material is free for learning and education purpose. Please reference authorship of content used, including link(s) to ManagementStudyGuide.com and the content page url.
- What is Ratio Analysis ?
- Techniques Used in Ratio Analysis
- Different Users of Ratio Analysis
- Limitations of Ratio Analysis
- Capital Structure Ratio
- Debt to Equity Ratio
- Debt Ratio
- Equity to Fixed Assets Ratio
- Proprietary Ratio
- Interest Coverage Ratio
- Degree of Financial Leverage Ratio
- Degree of Operating Leverage Ratio
- Degree of Combined Leverage Ratio
- Introduction to Cash Flow Ratios
- Cash Flow to Debt Ratio
- Free Cash Flow to Operating Cash Flow
- Operating Cash Flow to Sales Ratio
- Market Related Ratios
- Price to Earnings (PE) Ratio
- Price Earnings Growth (PEG) Ratio
- Price to Book Value Ratio
- Price to Cash Flow Ratio
- Price to Sales Ratio
- Dividend Yield Ratio
- Put Call Ratio
- Introduction to Liquidity Ratios
- Current Ratio
- Quick Ratio
- Cash Ratio
- What is Negative Working Capital ?
- Introduction to Turnover Ratios
- Accounts Receivable Turnover Ratio
- Accounts Payable Turnover Ratio
- How to Use AP Turnover Ratio
- Fixed Asset Turnover Ratio
- Inventory Turnover Ratio
- Working Capital to Sales Ratio
- Introduction to Profitability Ratios
- What are Common Size Statements ?
- What are Profit Margins ?
- Return on Assets (ROA) - Meaning, Formula, Assumptions and Interpretation
- Return on Equity (ROE) - Meaning, Formula, Assumptions and Interpretation
- Return on Invested Capital (ROIC)