Retail Store Operations
The store must offer a positive ambience to the customers for them to enjoy their shopping and leave with a smile.
- The store should not give a cluttered look.
- The products should be properly arranged on the shelves according to their sizes and patterns. Make sure products do not fall off the shelves.
- There should be no foul smell in the store as it irritates the customers.
- The floor, ceiling, carpet, walls and even the mannequins should not have unwanted spots.
- Never dump unnecessary packing boxes, hangers or clothes in the dressing room. Keep it clean.
- Make sure the customers are well attended.
- Dont allow customers to carry eatables inside the store.
- One of the most important aspects of retailing is cash handling.
- It is essential for the retailer to track the daily cash flow to calculate the profit and loss of the store.
- Cash Registers, electronic cash management system or an elaborate computerized point of sale (POS) system help the retailer to manage the daily sales and the revenue generated.
Prevent Shoplifting/Safety and Security
- The merchandise should not be displayed at the entry or exit of the store.
- Do not allow customers to carry more than three dresses at one time to the trial room.
- Install CCTVs and cameras to keep a close watch on the customers.
- Each and every merchandise should have a security tag.
- Ask the individuals to submit carry bags at the security.
- Make sure the sales representative handle the products carefully.
- Clothes should not have unwanted stains or dust marks as they lose appeal and fail to impress the customers.
- Install a generator for power backup and to avoid unnecessary black outs.
- Keep expensive products in closed cabinets.
- Instruct the children not to touch fragile products.
- The customers should feel safe inside the store.
- Customers are assets of the retail business and the retailer cant afford to lose even a single customer.
- Greet customers with a smile.
- Assist them in their shopping.
- The sales representatives should help the individuals buy merchandise as per their need and pocket.
- The retailer must not oversell his products to the customers. Let them decide on their own.
- Give the individual an honest and correct feedback. If any particular outfit is not looking good on anyone, tell him the truth and suggest him some better options.
- Never compromise on quality of products. Remember one satisfied customer brings five more individuals to the store. Word of mouth plays an important role in Brand Promotion.
Refunds and Returns
- Formulate a concrete refund policy for your store.
- The store should have fixed timings for exchange of merchandise.
- Never exchange products in lieu of cash.
- Never be rude to the customer, instead help him to find something else.
- The position of dummies should be changed frequently.
- There should be adequate light in the store. Change the burned out lights immediately.
- Dont stock unnecessary furniture at the store.
- Choose light and subtle colours for the walls to set the mood of the walk-ins.
- Make sure the signage displays all the necessary information about the store and is installed at the right place visible to all.
- The customers should be able to move and shop freely in the store.
- The retail store should be well ventilated.
- The store manager must conduct frequent training programs for the sales representatives, cashier and other team members to motivate them from time to time.
- It is the store managers responsibility to update his subordinates with the latest softwares in retail or any other developments in the industry.
- It is the store managers responsibility to collate necessary reports (sales as well as inventory) and send to the head office on a daily basis.
Inventory and Stock Management
- The retailer must ensure to manage inventory to avoid being out of stock.
- Every retail chain should have its own warehouse to stock the merchandise.
- Take adequate steps to prevent loss of inventory and stock.
|Search Management Study Guide