What is Interpersonal Relationship ?
A strong bond between two or more people refers to interpersonal relationship. Attraction between individuals brings them close to each other and eventually results in a strong interpersonal relationship.
Forms of Interpersonal relationship
An interpersonal relationship can develop between any of the following:
- Individuals working together in the same organization.
- People working in the same team.
- Relationship between a man and a woman (Love, Marriage).
- Relationship with immediate family members and relatives.
- Relationship of a child with his parents.
- Relationship between friends.
Relationship can also develop in a group (Relationship of students with their teacher, relationship of a religious guru with his disciples and so on)
Must have in an Interpersonal Relationship
- Individuals in an interpersonal relationship must share common goals and objectives. They should have more or less similar interests and think on the same lines. It is always better if individuals come from similar backgrounds.
- Individuals in an interpersonal relationship must respect each others views and opinions. A sense of trust is important.
- Individuals must be attached to each other for a healthy interpersonal relationship.
- Transparency plays a pivotal role in interpersonal relationship. It is important for an individual to be honest and transparent.
Interpersonal Relationship between a man and a woman
A strong interpersonal relationship between a man and a woman leads to friendship, love and finally ends in marriage.
- A sense of commitment is essential in marriages and love affairs.
- Partners must feel attached to each other and most importantly trust each other.
Famous psychologist Robert Sternberg proposed the triangular theory of love in interpersonal relationship.
According to triangular theory of love following three components lay the foundation in love affairs and marriages.
The amount of love in any relationship is directly proportional to the above three components. More the three components, stronger the relationship is.
- Passion: Passion refers to the physical and sexual attraction between two individuals. Individuals must feel physically attracted to each other for the charm to stay in relationship for a much longer period of time.
- Intimacy: The amount of closeness between two individuals in a relationship refers to intimacy. Partners must gel with each other and a strong bond between them is essential.
- Commitment: The decision of two individuals to stay together forever is called commitment. Commitment is nothing but two people deciding to be with each other life-long either by staying together or by entering the wedlock.
If any of the above factors is missing from a relationship, love fades away in a short span of time giving rise to troubles and sorrows.
Relationship between friends
- Friends must be honest to each other.
- Stand by your friends at times of need.
- Avoid leg pulling, criticism and making fun of your friends.
- Try not to mix friendship with love as it creates problems and misunderstandings.
Interpersonal relationship between children and their parents, brother and sister, immediate family members or relatives revolve around trust, commitment and care.
- Register Now and Download 5 FREE Powerpoint Presentations
More than 85 Presentations Added so Far All Presentations Contain - Optimum Lively Graphics & Animations to make the Concept Easy to Understand.